Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developers Explore Meson Build System For Wayland / Weston

Phoronix: Developers Explore Meson Build System For Wayland / Weston

A growing number of GNOME projects have been exploring Meson as a next-gen build system with one of the benefits being much faster build times. Now Daniel Stone at Collabora is exploring using Meson for Wayland and its Weston Weston compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a weird message. Meson is not fast, it's Ninja that's fast: Meson is just a (rather bad) Python frontend to NInja.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
      This is a weird message. Meson is not fast, it's Ninja that's fast: Meson is just a (rather bad) Python frontend to NInja.
      My thoughts exactly. At first I took this seriously. Then I saw Meson was just a glorified python script and got over it.

Seriously folks, python is a lot of things but fast is not one of them. Heck the regular interpreter can still use only on core as far as I know. I have 16 cores and 32 threads so imagine how efficient that is....

Why not cmake instead ? It might not be perfect but I've used it and really like it. It also has the option to generate ninja files and the generation of these ninja ( or make ) files is pretty fast.

Comment

Yea, I was thinking "what's that? And why are they not considering Ninja?" That explains it.

Comment

CMake + Ninja - good combination.

Comment

I recently heard about tup, which seems to be pretty fast. I was going to ask how fast was Meson, but the answer seems to have been posted here while I was waiting for the thread creation

Comment

+1 for CMake - Ninja, works wonders for me and is very standard & available on every platform.

Comment

But.. You don't need to depend on any build system if you have CMake, don't you? The end-user can generate the kind of makefile he wants, from make to visual studio by ninja if they want.

Comment

CMake is pretty much de facto standard these days. However build2 seems interesting, but I did not got deep into it.

Comment

I doubt Jussi Pakkanen would have written Meson if he was content with CMake – CMake is already 16 years old.

Meson feels very similar to CMake in what it does – comparing it with autotools is a joke.
                    In terms of what it looks like, I much prefer the pythonic typed Meson syntax over CMake's magical variables which I can't wrap my head around.

The Meson language is made to feel familiar to python programmers, but *is not* python – nothing prevents Meson from being rewritten in any other language.

Comment

Working...
                    X