Mir/Ubuntu Developer Talks Up Mir Outside Of Unity 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    No one outside canonical really knows. The reasons they listed ending up being technically incorrect, and no more legitimate reasons have been provided other than that they want control.

My speculation is that this is an example of the Dunning–Kruger effect, Ninety-nine rule, and the Sunk-cost fallacy

Thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      And this is generally the same reason they also made Bazaar, Upstart, and pretty much anything else that crashed and burned in the past.
      There is another reason - Canonical's CLA - a show stopper for many developers.

Comment

Originally posted by littleowl View Post
        There is another reason - Canonical's CLA - a show stopper for many developers.
        Yeah, also that. They don't seem to like the fact that their stuff might actually be truly free for all.

Really, I keep thinking that this mindset reminds me of Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Sorry, Canonical. Red Hat beat you at the race once again.
          Wayland doesn't even have any or only a few contributions from RedHat. Kristian Hogsberg worked at Intel when he started it, now the project maintainer is employed by Samsung and Daniel Stone and Pekka Paalanen both work for Collabora.

Comment

I used to be an Ubuntu contributor and left pretty disillusioned over their antics. This was before Mir was on the drawing board. Don't trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
              Could some one remind me.. Why didn't Canonical just use Wayland?
              Despite asking this, every time an article is posted on this subject, I haven't heard any really good reason yet.
              that's why:

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Wayland doesn't even have any or only a few contributions from RedHat. Kristian Hogsberg worked at Intel when he started it, now the project maintainer is employed by Samsung and Daniel Stone and Pekka Paalanen both work for Collabora.
                I wasn't referring to contributions, I was referring to Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

I wasn't referring to contributions, I was referring to Fedora.
                  Fedora is only like 25% Red Hat, 75% misc people. I wouldn't call it a "Red Hat Product", just like I wouldn't call CentOS a "Red Hat Product". Red Hat sponsors Fedora and then forks every so many years to do it's own thing with it, i.e. RHEL, which definitely is their product.

Comment

Mir is an example of poor planning and Canonical NIH syndrome. No one should use it outside Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Kristian worked for Red Hat when he started it. It wasn't a Red Hat project.

Comment

Working...
                      X