GNOME Lands Mainline NVIDIA Wayland Support Using EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Unless Blender became a "professional 3D modelling software" while I wasn't watching, you are talking of windows-only stuff, right?
    Blender is used for professional work, and has been for years now. Here's a couple of examples out of many, from this years Blender Conference:
    Jeff Bell and Ken Zorniak at Blender Conference 2016. Learn more at https://www.blender.org/conference/2016/presentations/311

Rainer Trummer at Blender Conference 2016. Learn more at https://www.blender.org/conference/2016/presentations/264

Also Linux is the primary OS used in the animation and VFX industry (workstation + server). Windows is the minority here.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Unless Blender became a "professional 3D modelling software" while I wasn't watching, you are talking of windows-only stuff, right?
      Blender was used professionally for a few commercial films, games and advertisements. There's also a few CAD programs targeting linux commercially.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

What are you talking about? There will be one codepath ultimately, since both GBM and Nvidia's method will be replaced.
        Actually I think the user you're replying is correct.
        When GNOME implements the new one, they will probably keep the old GBM and EGLStreams for a few releases before dropping them.
        That's 3.
        (Not that it matters to me of course)

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
          Also Linux is the primary OS used in the animation and VFX industry (workstation + server). Windows is the minority here.
          Which is the main reason Nvidia bother to support Linux at all, I suspect. It's certainly not because Linux gamers make up a huge proportion of their revenue stream...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Which is the main reason Nvidia bother to support Linux at all, I suspect. It's certainly not because Linux gamers make up a huge proportion of their revenue stream...
            I think it has at least as much to do with high-performance computing. That uses graphics cards for non-graphics tasks, and Linux is basically the only OS used for that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

I think it has at least as much to do with high-performance computing. That uses graphics cards for non-graphics tasks, and Linux is basically the only OS used for that anymore.
              Well, NVIDIA has provided good Linux support prior to that, but yes these days does help justify their Linux support.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                True, that's also a factor these days, but that's a relatively recent development. Nvidia were supporting Linux long before anyone figured out that they could use a GPU for number-crunching...

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
                  To clear up some misconceptions. First of all this was work that we in the Red Hat team did as we needed it for Fedora and future RHEL releases. At the same time we are the main commercial entity supporting the development of Nouveau, with Ben Skeggs being dedicated to that work. We are strongly in support of a shared successor to GBM that everyone can and will use and our team members have been participating in the discussions with NVidia to agree on such a thing.

So for us this was a purely pragmatical step we needed to take to move Wayland forward and we felt that since there is agreement for a shared future structure, and the patches to enable EGLStreams wasn't to intrusive we decided to prioritize our users and their needs. As for technical things both GBM and EGLStreams have their strengths and weaknesses so we don't think there is a strong design benefit to one or the other, but of course it would have been nice to have already one at this point and having to support two for the current time do of course add a bit of technical debt to the situation.
                  Thanks for clearing up the issue at hand.

Somewhat unrelated, I'd like to say how impressed I was with your comment on the desktop ml regarding the...expectations?...a component of a distro should reasonably have, and, OTOH, the reason for distros existing in the first place.
                  It was something that needed to be said, but there weren't many who were able to say such while being both heard and not immediately attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
                    To clear up some misconceptions. First of all this was work that we in the Red Hat team did as we needed it for Fedora and future RHEL releases. At the same time we are the main commercial entity supporting the development of Nouveau, with Ben Skeggs being dedicated to that work. We are strongly in support of a shared successor to GBM that everyone can and will use and our team members have been participating in the discussions with NVidia to agree on such a thing.

So for us this was a purely pragmatical step we needed to take to move Wayland forward and we felt that since there is agreement for a shared future structure, and the patches to enable EGLStreams wasn't to intrusive we decided to prioritize our users and their needs. As for technical things both GBM and EGLStreams have their strengths and weaknesses so we don't think there is a strong design benefit to one or the other, but of course it would have been nice to have already one at this point and having to support two for the current time do of course add a bit of technical debt to the situation.
                    Thanks for clearing up the issue at hand.

Somewhat unrelated, I'd like to say how impressed I was with your comment on the desktop ml regarding the...expectations?...a component of a distro should reasonably have, and, OTOH, the reason for distros existing in the first place.
                    It was something that needed to be said, but there weren't many who were able to say such while being both heard and not immediately attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                      Eglstreams is a standard https://www.khronos.org/registry/egl...KHR_stream.txt. if other drivers dont support it they are not compliant.
                      Microsoft's Office Open XML is also a "standard" and every other competing project with Office is non-compliant.

Comment

Working...
                      X