No announcement yet.

GNOME Lands Mainline NVIDIA Wayland Support Using EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

) and because it's technically better than Windows. Oh, and easier to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
      It's basically a political vs technical view. I'm very surprised it's gnome that did the technical approach.
      Not at all. Apart the Qt-license issues when Gnome was founded, they've actually been a *very* pragmatic non-political project for most of their existence - not surprising, since they've also had strong corporate backing for most of their existence, notably RedHat, but also Sun.

So Gnome is exactly the project I would expect to be pragmatic on this matter - they'd rather not have to maintain special Nvidia-only code, but they're prepared to live with it as a short-term thing if that's what it takes to get Gnome/Wayland into production. Remember, the alternative is to maintain two code paths anyway - Wayland and X11 - so if merging these patches brings them closer to dropping X11 support, they'll do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        The message should have been, 'want to use the binary blob? Fine...then you're stuck with X'
        But that hurts the Gnome developers more than merging the patches does. Remember, the long-term goal is to drop X11, because of it's well-documented flaws. Your proposal is to force them to keep maintaining two drastically different systems, instead of one system with some Nvidia-specific branches. The latter is not ideal, but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

Nouveau is not broken at all. It serves it's purpose rather well. I am OK to run a windows VM inside linux using GPU pass through to run games and other 3D software. Performance is not that good. In fact, terrible on maxwell. And no fan control is really a bummer for me. My PC runs so loud because that single GPU runs at 60% fan speed.
          I didn't say nouveau was broken, in fact I use it on my laptop and am actually using wayland on it. But linux ports are poor enough, I'm not going to play linux games on nouveau to get the performance of a gt 730 under windows with my gtx 760.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
            Not everyone uses Linux for the same reason. I don't care about FSF bullshit, I use Linux because it's free (as in free beer
            There is also Piratebay, btw.

Comment

And then they will support the new API in some months? Three codepath, really? I guess GNOME really can afford doing shit code because they are drowning in money.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                And then they will support the new API in some months? Three codepath, really? I guess GNOME really can afford doing shit code because they are drowning in money.
                What are you talking about? There will be one codepath ultimately, since both GBM and Nvidia's method will be replaced. In any case, how does this hurt you? Redhat is willing to pay for this intermediate step, which in the long run is a win for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

I didn't say nouveau was broken, in fact I use it on my laptop and am actually using wayland on it. But linux ports are poor enough, I'm not going to play linux games on nouveau to get the performance of a gt 730 under windows with my gtx 760.
                  3D performance is not needed just for games. There are those things, professional 3D modelling software, too.

Comment

In my country there is a saying: All dogs are equal, but some dogs are more equal than others. These are companies like Nvidia who bullies others. But in this case, Gnome is weak. No issues, no more Gnome for me. That is the beauty of capitalism, you can choose what to consume (and I come from a communist country where you have no choice)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      3D performance is not needed just for games. There are those things, professional 3D modelling software, too.
                      Unless Blender became a "professional 3D modelling software" while I wasn't watching, you are talking of windows-only stuff, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X