No announcement yet.

GNOME Lands Mainline NVIDIA Wayland Support Using EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the uninformed bias and hate going on here I think it is a blessing that NVIDIA forgives us and continues to work with the Wayland team to find a solution TOGETHER. NVIDIA is working TOGETHER with OSS to develop a solution that is BETTER than both EGLStreams and GBM. Wayland AGREES that GBM can be better and is working with NVIDIA, and NVIDIA AGREES that EGLStreams isn't long term.

What has happened here is the result of projects jumping the gun to get Wayland out the door early so some concessions were made to include these patches to hold over ALL users of OSS.

Thank you NVIDIA for ignoring us whiney users and continuing to grow and work with OSS to even make this an option.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

If my car does not have good performance I bring it to the garage to be repaired because it is fucking broken.
      If you want to game then you'd be nuts to use Nouveau. But this is Linux, it's not really known as a gaming platform, plenty of people who use Linux don't need performance for gaming. So if you don't game, then Nouveau is actually really good.

To use your car analogy, if your car doesn't/can't reach 70mph, you might consider that broken and take it to the garage. But if somebody only ever drives in cities, doing the school run, going shopping etc. then not being able to go 70mph isn't necessary and they wouldn't consider that an issue. They might be perfectly happy with a car that can't get above 40mph.

Comment

I think Nvidia has done a good thing. They are working together with Wayland to develop something that is BETTER than GBM. Both parties agree that there is something better. This isn't a EGLStreams vs GBM debaite, they are working TOGETHER. Nvidia's use of EGLStreams pushed Wayland into considering deficiencies that they were otherwise blind to. That is how development works, they saw something new to them and agreed that TOGETHER they can produce something BETTER than GBM and EGLStreams.

Shame on all of you hating Nvidia for their efforts to make OSS actually excellent. Without this push for something better everyone would have blindly subscribed as GBM is the best and move on. This level of engagement and cooperation from Nvidia is outstanding and they should be applauded so they do it more often.

I guess its just easier to hate and forget that software is only good enough until it is pushed to be better by competition.

As far as the Gnome patches YES, it is temporary while the groups get together and make something BETTER. You don't want BETTER??????

Comment

You know, if you don't want to support proprietary devices, go ahead. Sit there and don't write any code. I doubt you did anyway.

But who are you to try to stop other people from writing that code?

Comment

This reminds me of something Linus said about red hat deepthroating proprietary cock.

Comment

I guess the question was 'how can we screw people more now that the trump won'

This week:
              - Microsoft joins Linux foundation
              - gnome backstabs the agreement done a few months back and jumps in the bed with company with known unethical business practises

But this was a dick move, gnome. Really.

If nvidia cared about their users, they would have done it differently. They are bullies the same way monopolists do it on the market with prices.

Well, KDE people, you are still not dicks. You lack manpower. Prepare a better funding options like donation for developer salaries and some of us might help.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                At least I don't get broken performance.
                Nouveau is not broken at all. It serves it's purpose rather well. I am OK to run a windows VM inside linux using GPU pass through to run games and other 3D software. Performance is not that good. In fact, terrible on maxwell. And no fan control is really a bummer for me. My PC runs so loud because that single GPU runs at 60% fan speed.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

Nouveau is not broken at all. It serves it's purpose rather well. I am OK to run a windows VM inside linux using GPU pass through to run games and other 3D software. Performance is not that good. In fact, terrible on maxwell. And no fan control is really a bummer for me. My PC runs so loud because that single GPU runs at 60% fan speed.
                  To clarify, nouveau performance is not that good, but 3D performance in VM is good.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

And in what page are you looking for, 375.10 is four week old driver:
                    https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/972585
                    Thanks for that link. I was looking on nvidia.com using their driver search.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      Yeah, screw software freedom. What do people think this is, a Linux forum?
                      Not everyone uses Linux for the same reason. I don't care about FSF bullshit, I use Linux because it's free (as in free beer

Comment

Working...
                      X