No announcement yet.

GNOME Lands Mainline NVIDIA Wayland Support Using EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now with the latest Git code, it should be possible in conjunction with relatively new NVIDIA 370/375 series drivers.
    I don't see 375 series for linux on nvidia's site - highest version is 370.23 and it's a beta.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

Nouveau isn't broken, it just doesn't have good performance. Way to go crapping on the hard work of the devs who work under difficult circumstances to foster a healthy OSS ecosystem.

On topic now, I think this is an awful move by Gnome, KDE have it right IMO. Nvidia should be pressured to fall in line, and this move makes that less likely. Gnome have blinked first and that sucks. Nvidia should have just been left out on their limb with a driver that isn't compatible with where the Linux desktop is headed.

The message should have been, 'want to use the binary blob? Fine...then you're stuck with X'
      I do appreciate it a lot. However it does not change reality. And NVIDIA is partially to blame for this. However open standards > platform specific. EGLStreams wins here.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post

I don't see 375 series for linux on nvidia's site - highest version is 370.23 and it's a beta.
        And in what page are you looking for, 375.10 is four week old driver:
        Release highlights since 370.28: Added support for the following GPUs: Quadro P6000 Quadro P5000 Tesla P40 GeForce GTX 1050 GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Added new X configuration options: ForceCompositionPipeline ForceFullCompositionPipeline which override the MetaMode tokens with the same names. Fixed a bug that caused issues with panning and cursor constraining when mixing PRIME-driven displays with natively driven displa...

Comment

The message should have been, 'want to use the binary blob? Fine...then you're stuck with X'
          Then how do you think anyone deprecated X when time comes?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Why? Why can't the community stay compact on a decision for a fuck1ng single time? Let's welcome two different codepaths for the time being, such a way nobody will ever never agree on a new API. Good job Gnome, such a great job.
            What exactly is this "community" you speak of in such glowing terms? Are the membership rules published somewhere so just anyone can join (and please tell me where so I can see if I'm eligible), or is it limited to only a few select right-thinking individuals who are the arbiters of all that is right and holy?

Comment

A "standard" implemented by only one vendor is just a specification.

Comment

To clear up some misconceptions. First of all this was work that we in the Red Hat team did as we needed it for Fedora and future RHEL releases. At the same time we are the main commercial entity supporting the development of Nouveau, with Ben Skeggs being dedicated to that work. We are strongly in support of a shared successor to GBM that everyone can and will use and our team members have been participating in the discussions with NVidia to agree on such a thing.

So for us this was a purely pragmatical step we needed to take to move Wayland forward and we felt that since there is agreement for a shared future structure, and the patches to enable EGLStreams wasn't to intrusive we decided to prioritize our users and their needs. As for technical things both GBM and EGLStreams have their strengths and weaknesses so we don't think there is a strong design benefit to one or the other, but of course it would have been nice to have already one at this point and having to support two for the current time do of course add a bit of technical debt to the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Then how do you think anyone deprecated X when time comes?
                  1) X isn't going to be deprecated anytime soon
                  2) The point I was making was not really to make Nvidia driver users to be stuck on X indefinitely, but to force Nvidia's hand into adopting/supporting GBM in their driver like everyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
                    This is actually a very good thing. Finally some proper dogfooding can happen. I doubt kwin will follow though. They are stuck with their dreams about software freedom.
                    Yeah, screw software freedom. What do people think this is, a Linux forum?

Comment

Nouveau isn't broken, it just doesn't have good performance.
                      If my car does not have good performance I bring it to the garage to be repaired because it is fucking broken.

Comment

Working...
                      X