No announcement yet.

GNOME Lands Mainline NVIDIA Wayland Support Using EGLStreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was my understanding that some things aren't (entirely?) possible with EGLStreams in Wayland. I think I heard something about synchronization and maybe some other areas? Unfortunately, I can't the info I'm looking for.

Does anyone know if these issues were addressed? And if not, what EGLStream specific issues are there? If only small (if any) issues remain, I may be moving to Gnome (although most likely just temporarily).

Comment

It's nice that Gnome did the right thing for the users, and basically told the Stallmanites to fuck off. Good job Gnome.

On a side note, is there an Gnome plugins that make gnome more sane to use? I'd like to give it a spin again.

Comment

Does'nt nouveau support GBM? If someone wants to use a broken proprietary driver, they can expect a broken desktop.

Comment

money talks, money talks , dirty cash i want you, dirty cash i needyou .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0rAvZtM7w ... just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Performance of what? Which performance? You can drag windows around without the cursor lagging behind the title bar, that's enough of an improvement to use it over the X session.
            I would be interested to see if the performance of 3d games is different, on xwayland and on native applications

Comment

Originally posted by phoenk View Post
              I feel like this is a step backwards from open source. Developers shouldn't allow one asshole company to have more influence than the entire rest of the community. Ultimately, I think if nvidia doesn't want to work with open source developers then nvidia shouldn't be supported. If nvidia users suffer as a result, then that is their choice, to support a bad company.
              People are so weak that it makes me sick.
              Just look at how many are jumping on binary blobs and then shut up.
              They are content with whatever crap these assholes companies are feeding them.
              I'm afraid companies like Nvidia and Microsoft will ruin linux security by infiltrating all these thojan horses nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by triangle View Post
                Does'nt nouveau support GBM? If someone wants to use a broken proprietary driver, they can expect a broken desktop.
                Nouveau, talk about broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  This all boils down to the old free software vs open source argument (from the point of view outside nvidia).

From FSF perspective we should refuse to implement nvidia's API because it's politically wrong and opposes freedom by creating unnecessary splits.

From OSS perspective we should implement it because otherwise nvidia users get stuck with no wayland for no practical reason.

It's basically a political vs technical view. I'm very surprised it's gnome that did the technical approach.

This is one of them Linus vs RMS cases where one holds to their views extremely while the other goes "meh no technical reason not to allow/do that".

I'm kind of split on the issue but as an nvidia user will definitely check this out.
                  To make this clear, I don't know much about the EGLStreams vs GBM debate. However, I feel this issue is as much technical as it is political. If EGLStreams is an inferior technology, then the open source community will be held back by it, because the proprietary vendor doesn't feel like adopting the open standard. It isn't a "stalmanite" idea as someone else pointed out, if there are practical benefits to using GBM over EGLStreams.

Comment

Originally posted by triangle View Post
                    At least I don't get broken performance.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Nouveau, talk about broken.
                      Nouveau isn't broken, it just doesn't have good performance. Way to go crapping on the hard work of the devs who work under difficult circumstances to foster a healthy OSS ecosystem.

On topic now, I think this is an awful move by Gnome, KDE have it right IMO. Nvidia should be pressured to fall in line, and this move makes that less likely. Gnome have blinked first and that sucks. Nvidia should have just been left out on their limb with a driver that isn't compatible with where the Linux desktop is headed.

The message should have been, 'want to use the binary blob? Fine...then you're stuck with X'

Comment

Working...
                      X