X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unapproved for absolutely no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      Eglstreams is a standard https://www.khronos.org/registry/egl...KHR_stream.txt. if other drivers dont support it they are not compliant.
      Standard implemented only by one vendor. By nvidia's own words (Actually from an Nvidia rep, heard at linuxdays in Prague) : If only one vendor uses it, it's proprietary. (he was talking about OpenCL being in fact as proprietary as CUDA, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXrq5WAEmBQ sometime after the 1:16 hour mark AFAIR)

Sounds to me like EGLStream support was a prisoner's dilemna, and now we got the worst possible outcome...

Comment

Unapproved? What? Why?

Comment

Crappy forum :

If an open standard is implemented by only one company, you have to remove the "open" part from the name. Actual words from an Nvidia rep heard at LinuxDays in Prague, when talking about OpenCL. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXrq5WAEmBQ around 1:18)
          EGLStreams is only supported on nvidia. Go figure.

Sounds to me EGLStream support was a prisoner's dilemna, and we got the worst prossible outcome.

Comment

Seriously, this forum hates me?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              Eglstreams is a standard https://www.khronos.org/registry/egl...KHR_stream.txt. if other drivers dont support it they are not compliant.
              Stop spreading bullshit: eglstreams is obviously a standard, but not the standard API for wayland compositors/drivers. The standard API is GBM and Nvidia doesn't support it. The community must agree on a new standard, everybody can't simply implement their own.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Why? Why can't the community stay compact on a decision for a fuck1ng single time? Let's welcome two different codepaths for the time being, such a way nobody will ever never agree on a new API. Good job Gnome, such a great job.
                Don't freak out. Read it again. Nvidia is still working with everyone to find a unified solution that will work for their binary driver.

Comment

I feel like this is a step backwards from open source. Developers shouldn't allow one asshole company to have more influence than the entire rest of the community. Ultimately, I think if nvidia doesn't want to work with open source developers then nvidia shouldn't be supported. If nvidia users suffer as a result, then that is their choice, to support a bad company.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenk View Post
                    I feel like this is a step backwards from open source. Developers shouldn't allow one asshole company to have more influence than the entire rest of the community. Ultimately, I think if nvidia doesn't want to work with open source developers then nvidia shouldn't be supported. If nvidia users suffer as a result, then that is their choice, to support a bad company.
                    That doesn't seem like a realistic mindset, especially considering how many linux users prefer nvidia over AMD for things like gaming.

Comment

This all boils down to the old free software vs open source argument (from the point of view outside nvidia).

From FSF perspective we should refuse to implement nvidia's API because it's politically wrong and opposes freedom by creating unnecessary splits.

From OSS perspective we should implement it because otherwise nvidia users get stuck with no wayland for no practical reason.

It's basically a political vs technical view. I'm very surprised it's gnome that did the technical approach.

This is one of them Linus vs RMS cases where one holds to their views extremely while the other goes "meh no technical reason not to allow/do that".

I'm kind of split on the issue but as an nvidia user will definitely check this out.

Comment

Working...
                      X