Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland For KDE Plasma 5.9 Should Shape Up Quite Nicely

Phoronix: Wayland For KDE Plasma 5.9 Should Shape Up Quite Nicely

Plasma 5.8 was only released at the beginning of October but already there has been a number of Wayland improvements queuing up for the next milestone, Plasma 5.9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt on wayland is shit at the moment. And they need to bring support for xdg_shell_v6 soon.

Comment

Wayland on 5.8 is working alright. It feels like Plasma 5.2 in terms of maturity, which is pretty good for a different display server protocol. Only real problems are how DPI scaling apps mix horribly with non-scaling ones, a lot of icons seem to be missing, and KWin doesn't apply window effects consistently (sometimes windows insta-minimize, sometimes they scale properly). Oh, and SDDM crashes if you sign out of a Wayland session. Overall though you could use it right now, which is an alright place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Qt on wayland is shit at the moment. And they need to bring support for xdg_shell_v6 soon.
        What's wrong with the current Qt on Wayland? I have no experience with it contrary to GTK3 on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          ... a lot of icons seem to be missing ...
          That's one of the improvements that will be in 5.9.

Comment

I still wait for the day where multiscreen improvements/fixes will stop appearing in each and every Plasma release. And yes, I know part of the issues lie with Qt, not Plasma itself, but the outcome is still the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I still wait for the day where multiscreen improvements/fixes will stop appearing in each and every Plasma release. And yes, I know part of the issues lie with Qt, not Plasma itself, but the outcome is still the same.
              Lol, many people are with you on this (me included).

Comment

Every time I go into the comments I see people complain about multi-screen. Do that many people really use more than one monitors at home? At work, practically every person does, but really? at home?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                  Every time I go into the comments I see people complain about multi-screen. Do that many people really use more than one monitors at home? At work, practically every person does, but really? at home?
                  1. many people work at home

2. laptops are also good candidates for this, quite a few have a docking-station-like setup where they connect the laptop to a screen and a usb port for a hub with keyboard/mouse and turn their laptop in a desktop when at home

3. yes, really, at home. Stop looking at me like that.

4. someone may want to be able to replace his work setup with a linux system.

Comment

At work I use linux and a docking station thing, and I get laptop screen + external screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X