No announcement yet.

Fedora 25 Wayland Tests A Success, On Track For Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about global hotkeys (like push-to-talk) and screen capture? If they solved these problems and how?

Comment

Astonishing news. Fedora team "defeated" even Kubuntu (KDE) team.

Comment

The problem here is that everyone seems to forget Wayland-Applications that are not using any toolkit, like mpv or sdl2.

This bug report was migrated from our old Bugzilla tracker. These attachments are available in the static archive: Simple app source code to reproduce the problem (hello_world.c, text/x-csrc, 2014-...

mpv version and platform mpv compiled from git, 10/9/2016 (commit b5357e8) Recently, I've upgraded to gnome 3.22, which has defaulted to using wayland as the backend. I actually hadn't realized thi...

There is no standard or functionality to ask a compositor to add window decorations since Wayland/Weston (and GNOME) changed the "default" from server-side decoration to client-side decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          Astonishing news. Fedora team "defeated" even Kubuntu (KDE) team.
          But at the price of using Windows 8 Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            Michael, I don't know how you define "tier-one distribution", but Arch Linux switched to Wayland as the default GNOME Session a while ago, too (probably around the time that Fedora started the tests), and that is already in "release" (I'm not using testing repos).
            Arch Linux (along with its derivatives) is more tier-one distribution now than Fedora in my experience, of all the numerous Linux users I know IRL or virtually on various forums hardly anyone uses Fedora, its usually Ubuntu and *buntu family, Ubuntu derivatives like Mint, Arch Linux and its derivatives like Manjaro and Antergos, and a bit of Debian and OpenSuse here and there, Fedora is nearly non existent. Its glory days seem to be long gone.

Comment

Michael, I don't know how you define "tier-one distribution", but Arch Linux switched to Wayland as the default GNOME Session a while ago, too (probably around the time that Fedora started the tests), and that is already in "release" (I'm not using testing repos).
              Arch is a bit more niche than Fedora, for reasons you should understand on your own (hint: lack of installer, graphical or otherwise, yes there is Architect but it isn't official)

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                Arch Linux (along with its derivatives) is more tier-one distribution now than Fedora in my experience, of all the numerous Linux users I know IRL or virtually on various forums hardly anyone uses Fedora, its usually Ubuntu and *buntu family, Ubuntu derivatives like Mint, Arch Linux and its derivatives like Manjaro and Antergos, and a bit of Debian and OpenSuse here and there, Fedora is nearly non existent. Its glory days seem to be long gone.
                Agree, I add that on this forum there is a disproportionately huge amount of Gentoo users too, that don't seem to exist IRL or live in reclusive enclaves on top of mountains or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  Gnome paved the way to Wayland. The lesser desktops can follow Gnome's lead in few years when they pick up all the supporting libs also written by Gnome hackers.
                  And bigger ones like KDE who lead Linux desktop for many years already support Wayland. What libs are you trolling about?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    Fedora got the best QA team. These guys got talent, a proven track record and follow Fedora's release engineering proces.

Desktop Linux would crumble without Fedora. Just look at some of the lesser desktops. They are not sustainable.
                    Yeah, right. Fedora is one of the least stable distributions. Desktop Linux will be fine without Fedora which focuses on mobile like DE. I wonder how it passed usability tests?

Comment

Archlinux didn't decide anything and just followed upstream. Upstream GNOME 3.22 defaults to Wayland if I'm correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X