Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

So how long is libglvnd along?
    How far is it from reality?
    Is it stable?
    Does any vendor use it?
    Does any distribution use it?

Comment

Yesterday Antergos updated to GNOME 3.22 and made Wayland the default display server. I've had better luck than with Ubuntu GNOME however there are issues with lightdm login and some programs like LibreOffice running very slowly.

So far I've replaced lightdm with gdm as a keyboard recognition issue prevented me from logging in.

Some other fixes to GNOME have been applied such as natural scrolling however mouse acceleration and input lag have become much more noticeable and bothersome. I just hope these get sorted soon.
      Last edited by IvantheDugtrio; 13 October 2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Man, you have a lots of questions

So how long is libglvnd along?
        The GLX part appears to have landed in Mesa, as seen in:

EGL and GLES parts are still pending. Most recent mailing list post on mesa-dev I've seen is about EGL_KHR_debug being a requirement for using EGL with glvnd.

Also, from their README file, there's a GLX extension required for the GLX part, GLX_EXT_libglvnd.

My recent Mesa/Xorg Server appear to have it:

$ glxinfo | grep glvnd
        GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_libglvnd, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,

How far is it from reality?
        I guess it's kinda close.

Is it stable?
        Define stable. The interface should have been settled on, and it can't break the ABI mandated by Linux OpenGL ABI when building libGL.so, libGLESv{1_cm,2}.so and libEGL.so

The GL Vendor-Neutral Dispatch library. Contribute to NVIDIA/libglvnd development by creating an account on GitHub.

Does any vendor use it?
        From what I know, NVIDIA does ship and use it in its binary driver. Michael covered it at some point.

Does any distribution use it?
        I've seen Arch shipping it, mainly for the NVIDIA driver. I don't follow distros that much.

Comment

Originally posted by teldar View Post
          There's still a hard dependency of X in the libGL. It's unlikely to be patched anytime soon, that means that OpenGL have to be used through xwayland, native wayland are limited to GLES or vulkan.
          It's false. Linking to some library doesn't me you must use it. This dependency only means you need libX11 installed to use libGL
          GL can only be used through EGL, though.

Comment

Originally posted by teldar View Post
            There's still a hard dependency of X in the libGL. It's unlikely to be patched anytime soon, that means that OpenGL have to be used through xwayland, native wayland are limited to GLES or vulkan.
            mmm are you sure? because OpenGL works just fine on wayland for me without Xwayland. for Example MPV and SDL2 applications.

Mesa shouldn't pull any X dependency at runtime if your context is requested from EGL, if your app call GLX then is another story and that won't be fixed since GLX doesnt work on wayland at all.

MPV output

[vo/opengl] Initializing OpenGL backend 'wayland'
            [vo/opengl/wayland] Seat "seat0" connected
            [vo/opengl/wayland] output received:
            [vo/opengl/wayland] vendor: ___
            [vo/opengl/wayland] model: 0x9000
            [vo/opengl/wayland] w: 1368, h: 768
            [vo/opengl/wayland] scale: 1
            [vo/opengl/wayland] Hz: 59.882000
            [vo/opengl/wayland] output received:
            [vo/opengl/wayland] vendor: GSM
            [vo/opengl/wayland] model: IPS226
            [vo/opengl/wayland] w: 1920, h: 1080
            [vo/opengl/wayland] scale: 1
            [vo/opengl/wayland] Hz: 60.000000
            [vo/opengl/wayland] EGL_VERSION=1.5 (DRI2)
            [vo/opengl/wayland] EGL_VENDOR=Mesa Project
            [vo/opengl/wayland] EGL_CLIENT_APIS=OpenGL OpenGL_ES
            [vo/opengl/wayland] Trying to create Desktop OpenGL context.
            [vo/opengl/wayland] GL_VERSION='4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 12.1.0-devel (git-35e2bfa)'
            [vo/opengl/wayland] Detected desktop OpenGL 4.3.
            [vo/opengl/wayland] GL_VENDOR='X.Org'
            [vo/opengl/wayland] GL_RENDERER='Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.46.0 / 4.8.0-mainline, LLVM 4.0.0)'
            [vo/opengl/wayland] GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION='4.30'

Please note i think this is actually hardcoded [vo/opengl/wayland] GL_VENDOR='X.Org' because weston was not loading Xwayland.so since i uninstalled it first and tested open any X application will result in an instant crash(MPV played the video just fine)

So i'm 100% sure here but it seems X is not really necessary unless you call GLX instead of EGL since EGL_CLIENT_APIS=OpenGL OpenGL_ES report Opengl support in a pure wayland session but i do have my doubts since it seems to pull to RAM few XCB libraries like xrandr(which i suspect are to verify if X session exists ) but not LibX11 or Xrender or any other hard X rendering dependency.

Maybe some mesa guy can clear this a bit more

Comment

Originally posted by IvantheDugtrio View Post
              Yesterday Antergos updated to GNOME 3.22 and made Wayland the default display server. I've had better luck than with Ubuntu GNOME however there are issues with lightdm login and some programs like LibreOffice running very slowly.

So far I've replaced lightdm with gdm as a keyboard recognition issue prevented me from logging in.

Some other fixes to GNOME have been applied such as natural scrolling however mouse acceleration and input lag have become much more noticeable and bothersome. I just hope these get sorted soon.
              Antergos didn't make Wayland the default display server that's just an upstream GNOME choice to have the Wayland session as the first choice in GDM.

Comment

"a little offtopic: i updated to gnome 3.22 on manjaro and everything blinked for example te seconds went crazy terminal text too
                does it happen to any of you?"

Gnome 3.22 seems to work fine with Fedora 25 for me. I'm using Intel graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by BillT View Post
                  "a little offtopic: i updated to gnome 3.22 on manjaro and everything blinked for example te seconds went crazy terminal text too
                  does it happen to any of you?"

Gnome 3.22 seems to work fine with Fedora 25 for me. I'm using Intel graphics.
                  its because the disable culling environment i added to fix tearing
                  disabled it and working

Comment

@Michael: you could try:
                    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                      @Michael: you could try:
                      gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.cursor active false
                      Too late, I literally wipe distributions almost daily when done with a test.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X