Fedora 25 Is Still On Track To Use Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Wayland by default looks more like an upstream GNOME choice than a Fedora choice. I use GNOME 3.22 on Arch Linux and it defaults to Wayland when using the open source drivers.
    Nah. Fedora made the decision to make Wayland default and pushes all the patches upstream so Arch Linux users and other distributions get that benefit of the work. This is typically how Fedora development has always been done.

Comment

VLC 4.0X is based on wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulus View Post
        And the worst thing is, wayland must "emulate" the x api calls thru a new layer.
        That's not true. Wayland doesn't emulate anything. When an application attempts to call X, it actually starts up a full-blown X server to handle it, just like pre-Wayland when there was already one running.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

VLC 4.0X is based on wayland.
          Have they even started version 4 as 3 isn't finished yet

master branch is still 3

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulus View Post
            Bad things about Wayland-Compositors: Its no longer possible to use the nvidia opengl Driver, and play any Steam Game.
            Not really the fault of Wayland developers but more of the NVIDIA folks.
            Thankfully, Nouveau works fine on older cards up to Kepler.

And the best Feature ssh -X is no longer working to a remote machine...
            That's not a feature. That's a security risk that also happens to be completely out of scope.
            Why would a rendering backend need to support networking? That's clearly the job of an entirely different layer.
            It's something RDP, VNC and a whole slew of other protocols were invented for. Which is also what Wayland devs recognize.

Different wayland compositors are not compatible between each other. An KDE Screensaver would never run on an GNOME Desktop.
            Aside of the fact that KDE and GNOME are already doing their own thing (KDE even has its own, unique way of achieving screen locking functionality) I don't see in what ways they'd be any less compatible than they already are with Xorg.

Its not possible to write a simple Programm to change the Desktop image.
            Ummm... yes it is!

Long Live X11
            It will have a long life.
            In the form of the XWayland backend and, potentially, as the preferred display protocol of the BSDs and Solaris.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

That's not a feature. That's a security risk that also happens to be completely out of scope.
              Why would a rendering backend need to support networking? That's clearly the job of an entirely different layer.
              It's something RDP, VNC and a whole slew of other protocols were invented for. Which is also what Wayland devs recognize.

In the form of the XWayland backend and, potentially, as the preferred display protocol of the BSDs and Solaris.
              The two most popular VNC solutions, TigerVNC and TurboVNC< still require the presence of an xserver for remote desktop. How are they going to adapt to Wayland?

I know TurboVNC maintains xorg 7.5 as a static X base it it calls on as part of the package, while TigerVNC is reliant on the distribution's Xserver. Does that mean that distributions will need to package both the full X system and Wayland? Or can VNC get away with just the xserver component which is called via Xwayland?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                Thankfully, Nouveau works fine on older cards up to Kepler.
                Depends on what you think that fine means here. Fermi doesn't reclock memory and it's damn slow by default, so it's not really working fine in that sense. Anyway the desktop should work, but I've also heard from Nouveau developers that the 3D driver is not that well hardened and that is a problem for compositors. I.e. user may experience occasional crashes. The driver has been developed mostly games in mind and it's not too good at handling multiple OpenGL applications at the same time. Nowadays we have plenty of those and already the two most used applications may use OpenGL (compositor and web browser). This is not first hand experience, because I don't usually use nouveau (no reclocking at all for me), but mostly from nouveau developers discussions (#nouveau on Freenode for example). Anyway, I think they've done awesome job with the resources they have.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post

I'm sure a lot of people will use X11 when they discover that a lot of the media players won't work properly .
                  mpv works great if you compile it by hand. No tearing. It uses opengl.

Comment

Working...
                  X