Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Presents Over GBM vs. EGLStreams, The Big Wayland Support Debate Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
    i dont like mir because it divides the desktop but wayland should have been designed like mir(implementing more things to prevent work duplucation)
    mir is not designed like that. mir is just single implementation because nobody else cares about mir

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      GBM is Linux/MESA only,
      wayland is linux only, gbm is implemented by mesa, but it could be implemented by anything
      and has a few warts.
      but int exists unlike eglstreams and can be improved
      Nvidia on the other hand wants to support Wayland on Linux, as well as any
      other future windowing system on other unix and unix-like systems, without having to write and maintain different code
      for all of these combinations.
      that is their problem. there is no other windowing systems nor other unix-like systems. anyway they all are free to implement gbm api
      what he wants is suggestions about what a mechanism should provide
      in order to be acceptable to the mesa/xorg/wayland people, as well as nvidia, and users on not only linux but other OSs.
      that mechanism is gbm

Comment

nvidia does get a lot of unwarranted hate, especially on this forum. Andy Ritger even felt it necessary to apologize to the nouveau developers for the lack of help. It seemed like the driver engineers actually want to help, but are forbidden by company politics/lawyers
        everything is warranted and no amount of excuses will help, only real open driver. it does not matter whether their engineers are saints, only end result matters

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          I will never understand why people in the Linux community would defend platform specific GBM.
          all linux drivers are platform specific, it did not stop anyone. just like all windows drivers are platform specific. that is what platforms are for
          And the only complaints from devs is "we are lazy" and "perfect frames".
          well, complaints from nvidia are "we are even more lazy" and "we don't care about quality", so maybe you both should go fuck each other?
          Though i am pretty sure nvidia would have an answer for that. Probably whats going to happen is that people stay on X11.
          well, you could even use windows, nobody cares

Comment

Originally posted by oneofone View Post
            I'm not sure where you got that from, but as of today, nvidia is still the only realistic gaming solution on Linux.
            I'm not sure where you got that from, but that is bullshit

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              wayland is linux only, gbm is implemented by mesa, but it could be implemented by anything
              but int exists unlike eglstreams and can be improved
              that is their problem. there is no other windowing systems nor other unix-like systems. anyway they all are free to implement gbm api
              that mechanism is gbm
              This is short-sighted. gbm may solve one problem for one os and one gfx layer. but the world is far more diverse than your myopic musings suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                The low-end market being on Intel side they are now winning on the real market, which is now the mid to highend.
                Midrange and high-end discrete GPUs is where the profits are, but it is not where the users are. And I would guess the Wayland folks care about the users, which are 15% NVidia and 85% non-NVidia.

True, but you read my post out of context. This guy was just writing that NVidia was dying and had no future nor sales forever on consoles
                The post you quoted said nothing of that sort. It said "has virtually no hardware in console gaming" (in present tense) which is correct and talked about NVidia anti-competitive behavior which is also documented.

and this is just false : they may soon get a potentially good place on the console one that they do not have today. The NX may be an hybrid machine between Wii U and 3DS, if they only hit the unit sold of the 3DS NVidia will be rich again from consoles thanks to Parker.
                This is why I said it may or may not gain any meaningful market share. How much the NX will sell is totally uncertain at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  all linux drivers are platform specific, it did not stop anyone. just like all windows drivers are platform specific. that is what platforms are for
                  The Nvidia driver is mostly cross platform. That's the very reason they always had almost feature parity between windows and Linux and won't developp an open source one.

Also wayland is not designed to be linux only. It's been ported to BSD, and will probably be ported to plenty of stuff in the future like X was.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    My point still stands the company is losing market considering Nvidia own strategy. When their sales hurt NVidia will be forced to change their tunes.
                    Point is, this is bullshit, and I posted proof that it is bullshit. Sure you can repeat it but still bullshit it remains.
                    They aren't losing sales because they are bad, the sales dropped because NVIDIA themselves dropped product lines.

Want to know why my stance seems pro-AMD as you call ?
                    Not a good reason to post blatant bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by oneofone View Post
                      I'm not sure where you got that from, but as of 2012, nvidia is still the only realistic gaming solution on Linux.
                      fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X