Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Presents Over GBM vs. EGLStreams, The Big Wayland Support Debate Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lol, that is because mir has inly one compositor
    i dont like mir because it divides the desktop but wayland should have been designed like mir(implementing more things to prevent work duplucation)

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

i dont like mir because it divides the desktop but wayland should have been designed like mir(implementing more things to prevent work duplucation)
      err... no edit button i meant duplication

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

No. Nvidia driver is more than just libGL.so (or whatever it is now with GLVND). It also has it's own DDX (X11 driver) and kernel driver that both (well, at least the kernel driver) are needed to use the OpenGL driver. That OpenGL driver can't talk with nouveau and therefore it's not possible to switch the drivers just like that. (Edit: And it doesn't work the other way either for the same reasons)

In AMD's hybrid approach, both drivers can use the same DDX and kernel drivers so technically it might be possible to switch them. Sadly AMD doesn't yet support GLVND, so we can't test it now, but from what I've understood they are interested in supporting it.
        Oh yes you're right.
        Stupid me, I'm so used to the things with AMD I completely forgot about different kernel and DDX driver with Nvidia. :/
        Thank you for the detailed reply!

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          Nvidia is gradually losing market share in Microsoft Windows world and has virtually no hardware in console gaming world.
          The company has an anti-competitive history that is coming to haunt it.

2 lines 2 lies.

NVidia is still by far the #1 vendor for graphics cards and their marketshare increased even more in Q2 2016.
          Heard about Nintendo NX? Will probably be powered by NVidia Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            All current marketshare/usage data seems to say your claim is bullshit

And this matters because? HPC market is mostly on NVIDIA, for example.
            This bullshit guy got like(s) while you got none.
            What people dream about is more important than reality.
            My dog is still alive and now 26 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Oh yes you're right.
              Stupid me, I'm so used to the things with AMD I completely forgot about different kernel and DDX driver with Nvidia. :/
              Thank you for the detailed reply!
              Honestly if they just open sourced both, I think it would make a lot of people happy. I'm not exactly sure where the Wayland code sits for Nvidia, but if they're so concerned about maintainability of using GBM, maybe doing a hybrid driver would make sense... Plus they would finally have a GPL compliant driver and Nouveau could worry more about the mesa stack rather than blinding stabbing at improving the kernel driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                2 lines 2 lies.
                Well, then don't let facts get in your way.

NVidia is still by far the #1 vendor for graphics cards and their marketshare increased even more in Q2 2016.
                NVidia graphics marketshare decreased in Q2 2016 to 13.9% (from 16.7% in Q1).
                AMD marketshare increased slightly to 13.5% (from 13.2% in Q1).
                Source: https://jonpeddie.com/press-releases...pments-declini
                So what finalzone said is factually correct.

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                has virtually no hardware in console gaming world.
                And how much is Nintendo NX market share? Currently it is at 0%
                The only gaming consoles with NVidia graphics you can buy today are PS3 and NVidia Shield, both of which have virtually nonexistent market share.

Will Nintendo NX be able to gain any meaningful marketshare when it launches sometime in 2017? Possibly, but then again possibly not...

(Source)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Well, then don't let facts get in your way.
                  Ok I was not precise enough but it's always hard to answer to trolls in a clear manner...

Those statistics are about sales number and they show a % drop but :

- NVidia removed all of their low-mid-end cards (x20, x30, x40)
                  - the prices of their cards for the same level has increased so they are making much more money

The low-end market being on Intel side they are now winning on the real market, which is now the mid to highend.
                  On the other side AMD has very popular API for the low mid, giving the illusion that they are close to stability, while they are loosing a little more the real market (up from mid range as I wrote).

And how much is Nintendo NX market share? Currently it is at 0%
                  The only gaming consoles with NVidia graphics you can buy today are PS3 and NVidia Shield, both of which have virtually nonexistent market share.
                  True, but you read my post out of context. This guy was just writing that NVidia was dying and had no future nor sales forever on consoles and this is just false : they may soon get a potentially good place on the console one that they do not have today. The NX may be an hybrid machine between Wii U and 3DS, if they only hit the unit sold of the 3DS NVidia will be rich again from consoles thanks to Parker.

Comment

2 lines 2 lies.

I care less whether you think my quote is "bullshit". It does not matter where signs are easily overlooked from the stats.
                    A vendor can be number one today while its market share is actually crumbling. History has one of examples.
                    Read the comment you post and you'll find out that Nvidia is worried.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                      Why a new API? Why not improve GBM?
                      GBM is Linux/MESA only, and has a few warts. Nvidia on the other hand wants to support Wayland on Linux, as well as any
                      other future windowing system on other unix and unix-like systems, without having to write and maintain different code
                      for all of these combinations. James Jones even sounded annoyed about the current situation (as he apparently is the
                      one who has to write all this stuff at nvidia), and what he wants is suggestions about what a mechanism should provide
                      in order to be acceptable to the mesa/xorg/wayland people, as well as nvidia, and users on not only linux but other OSs.
                      I'm pretty sure, based on previous conduct, nvidia is even willing to provide an initial implementation for further discussion.

Comment

Working...
                      X