The Android Runtime On Chrome OS Makes Use Of Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
    Sorry if I'm not adding much to the discussion, but what does CL mean? I hate not knowing what words mean...
    I guessed Compatibility Layer, I don't think CL has a standardized meaning in this context.

I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with googles power over the android ecosystem. Well, actually, it's getting too big and powerful in general.
    I'm somewhat Ok with that as Google is firmly a service-based company and has no intention to go other ways (i.e. start extortion businness with licenses). Service-based businness model is best for keeping stuff open, and more respectful of customer needs too.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I guessed Compatibility Layer, I don't think CL has a standardized meaning in this context.
      Thanks, that makes sense.

I'm somewhat Ok with that as Google is firmly a service-based company and has no intention to go other ways (i.e. start extortion businness with licenses). Service-based businness model is best for keeping stuff open, and more respectful of customer needs too.
      Google isn't really doing anything wrong, but it seems to get increasingly hard to avoid using its (or Facebook's and Microsoft's) services or create something competitive to it. (Not that I've tried avoiding Google.)

Comment

That's because Android is Google's stuff. There is no real monetary benefit in making a layer to run apps for Google, for free.
        And the opensource orgs that work for ideals aren't exactly happy to toil to add a major closed-source app provider to linux.

Google's runtime for chromeOS is mostly open afaik, which allows people to just port it over and run it inside Chromium (Google doesn't really have any good reason to prevent that) https://archon-runtime.github.io/
        That's not EXACTLY true, I think.
        The incentive for Google to port their android runtime(and services) to other operating systems is the same as Google deciding to provide Android, and the rest of their services, for free.
        It is bizarre, however, that no one has yet finished the work of porting the runtime to a nearly identical Linux base.

Comment

Let's read together what I wrote.
          "opensource orgs that work for ideals aren't exactly happy to toil to add a major closed-source app provider to linux."
          closed-source app
          app
          What you wrote makes little sense, if at all: specifically for linux there's very little closed source projects that they're contributing to. I can name just a couple of extensions to Chromium, transforming it into Chrome.

Perhaps you meant something Android specific, then the point of the discussion is that its ecosystem is divergent of GNU/Linux one, and I was wondering why to not bring it here.

Sure there is F-Droid that is a FOSS store of apps, but 99.9999% of those that want to run an Android app they want to run a binary blob from the Google Store.
          The idea is to make Android apps to run easily on GNU/Linux. As for market, that's not that big problem, there were apps allowing to download a binary from the market, and it would further evolve if there were interested users.

Probably, I should emphasize, why would anyone interested in these apps. I'm not interested, neither, probably you. But you're probably noticed, there are peoples interested in running Android on their netbooks, for whatever reason. This means that there're peoples, interested in those apps, so if GNU/Linux could run them, the peoples could've use that instead of Android on their netbooks.

Comment

Since it's making use of Wayland, if Google open-sources this new ARC solution I can't see why a distro wouldn't include it. Hopefully this would incentivize the effort to make Android apps look nice on larger formfactors as well

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post
              Since it's making use of Wayland, if Google open-sources this new ARC solution I can't see why a distro wouldn't include it. Hopefully this would incentivize the effort to make Android apps look nice on larger formfactors as well
              A few days ago I asked in a Chromium OS discussion group whether Google has any plans to release their code that allows running Android apps on Chromebooks. According to two Google devs, other than the Android container itself, pretty much everything required for running Android apps on Chromebooks has already been released. See https://groups.google.com/a/chromium...ss/OfBln-hl7ug

Hopefully someone clever will figure out a way to port this from Chrome OS to other Linux distributions. I, for one, would welcome access to Android apps on Arch, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                It is bizarre, however, that no one has yet finished the work of porting the runtime to a nearly identical Linux base.
                Their runtime is a Chrome/ium addon due to obvious reasons (ChromeOS), porting it to run without Chrome/ium is a Wine-like project that none (apart from Google) can be really interested in paying for.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

A few days ago I asked in a Chromium OS discussion group whether Google has any plans to release their code that allows running Android apps on Chromebooks. According to two Google devs, other than the Android container itself, pretty much everything required for running Android apps on Chromebooks has already been released. See https://groups.google.com/a/chromium...ss/OfBln-hl7ug

Hopefully someone clever will figure out a way to port this from Chrome OS to other Linux distributions. I, for one, would welcome access to Android apps on Arch, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.
                  Wow, that I didn't know. Would have thought we would have seen a big boon to the shashlik project

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    What you wrote makes little sense, if at all: specifically for linux there's very little closed source projects that they're contributing to. I can name just a couple of extensions to Chromium, transforming it into Chrome.
                    Hello? Android apps are NOT open on average, are distributed through non-free channels, and they also have DRM and whatever.
                    All opensource foundations aren't going to do that with their own money.

The idea is to make Android apps to run easily on GNU/Linux.
                    You fail to understand what this means. Android has a well-established and vast ecosystem that can and probably will squash Linux's if given chance. It's like if you magically turned Wine into what it is supposed to be instead of a broken mess of hacks. Poof, you can use all windows programs on Linux too.

Any such distro would likely become "the lower layer" under what would basically be an Android system.

Probably, I should emphasize, why would anyone interested in these apps. I'm not interested, neither, probably you.
                    This is probably why you fail to understand.

I'm VERY interested in running Android on a PC, because it is an opensource system written from scratch keeping in mind most learned lessons from older OSes, and has an ecosystem that is vast as Windows's.

But you're probably noticed, there are peoples interested in running Android on their netbooks, for whatever reason.
                    Hi, I'm one of them. My world domination plan is getting a Windows tablet or convertible and replace the OS with Android x86.
                    There are so many good reasons that it hurts.

This means that there're peoples, interested in those apps, so if GNU/Linux could run them, the peoples could've use that instead of Android on their netbooks.
                    If the people installs Android apps in Linux Desktop and mostly use them as there are FAR more quality apps than linux programs (apart from the workstation stuff and PC games anyway), you end up hurting Linux as developers will likely target Android "because it also runs on Linux".

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      That's not EXACTLY true, I think.
                      The incentive for Google to port their android runtime(and services) to other operating systems is the same as Google deciding to provide Android, and the rest of their services, for free.
                      That's what I'm saying. Their compatibilty layer is just a big fat bait to get someone into expanding Google's ecosystem somewhere else.
                      Because also Android is just a big fat bait, Google isn't "good", they didn't release it as open because of their love of kittens.

Comment

Working...
                      X