Fedora 25 Alpha Released With Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I know right. I had that question exactly because I'm testing nouveau right now, and, well, to put it plainly it's not quite usable for my card yet.
    While 3 is an option for old hardware, I don't think I want to part with my GTX 660 yet (it has Vulkan and all that). Which leaves me with number 1. Sigh.
    Well, you'll have to make a decision, right now, either you keep your card and switch back to X.org *or* you buy an ever improving and not so expensive AMD card (like an RX 480, <300$US). But yes, you can't, yet, have a mix of both; I don't think it's really a problem, considering that switching to X.org is really stupidly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Several years ago I first caught a glimpse of Fedora developers being actively hostile towards its end users. And now Fedora 25 has reached the apex of hostility. Using a barely functional graphical subsystem which doesn't natively support hundreds of legacy programs is beyond imbecile. Yeah, I'm perfectly aware of the X server emulation in Wayland but then even if we're talking purely about Wayland, it's just not generally ready to run your displays. Too many things are either outright broken or not supported.

Now, I'm a bit lost 'cause I've been using Fedora since RedHat 5.0 and I don't know what distro to upgrade to. Certainly it won't be a deb or source based distro and that leaves me ... with CentOS 7 only. Luckily it'll be supported for 10+ years and maybe in 5+ years Wayland will become usable.
      As someone who is a part of the fedora development community, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Fedora still supports X org and will likely hold on to it until everything works beautifully (See all the posts replying to your comment to enabled via you display manager). The KDE SIG will likely push to extend that as well, since KDE isn't quite at the point of GNOME yet (though KDE is still a lower priority than GNOME for Fedora).
      Enterprise Linux 7 will be supported for quite a while, plus Red Hat wouldn't risk solely using Wayland+XWayland with 8 unless a lot of the shortcomings are resolved at the branch point (likely no earlier than Fedora 26).

Note that the team very clearly documents the short coming of Wayland with GNOME:

"Color temperature control" and "Restarting gnome-shell" are the main blockers for me, for example.
      I'm sure a few of these will keep X11 as an option in GDM until they are resolved:
      "Clipboard manager", "Nvidia driver support", "Outputs on secondary GPUs", "Remove X11 requirement in mutter" and "Hotplug USB devices".

Comment

For me the blocker is that with Wayland I will not be able to do screencasts over https://room.co/

Comment

Now, I'm a bit lost
          your opinion is very important for us

Comment

Originally posted by patrakov View Post
            For me the blocker is that with Wayland I will not be able to do screencasts over https://room.co/
            is a security necessity but is not undoable. The X way any program can grab your screen and input and you will never know while on wayland you can't see anything outside your assigned surface and your specific routed input which is excellent and something that really enhance security out of the box.

For screencasts you just need a secure request to the compositor asking it to share FD handles to the post processed rendered final frames to you application, that way the input cannot be stolen either way BUT require the screencast application to be patched and i don't know if any is ready yet.

So for a bit just select "Gnome on Xorg" instead "Gnome" session and problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              your opinion is very important for us
              rofl!! :d

Comment

Using a barely functional graphical subsystem which doesn't natively support hundreds of legacy programs is beyond imbecile. Yeah, I'm perfectly aware of the X server emulation in Wayland but then even if we're talking purely about Wayland, it's just not generally ready to run your displays.
                Just for the record, XWayland is not "emulation". It's an actual, real X server running on your machine and responding to requests, just like it would be without wayland.

Comment

Everyone is so smug, meanwhile I've got plenty of behavioral/feature-wise bug reports closed as INVALID by Fedora maintainers/devs, like this one:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1355763 : use Pulse Audio with XFCE or fuck off.

And I'm not talking about adding features, I'm talking only about preserving them.

Now everyone here defending Fedora devs may go fuck off. Fedora has become an elitist club of don't-give-a-fuck-about-your-workflow bastards. Lennart is a prime example of course:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=817186 : you shall not run the X server on the first VT.

Go laugh all the way you want, just don't cry when next time your $favorite_feature gets removed because Fedora devs think it's best for you.

Comment

Everyone is so smug, meanwhile I've got plenty of behavioral/feature-wise bug reports closed as INVALID by Fedora maintainers/devs, like this one:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1355763 : use Pulse Audio with XFCE or fuck off.

And I'm not talking about adding features, I'm talking only about preserving them.
                    I have read bugreport and thread from mailing list and this is what I think: The thing is, you can't force someone to maintain something that you personally need. Having said that, I am sure they are willing to accept patches from you if you want to do it.

Comment

I've got plenty of behavioral/feature-wise bug reports closed as INVALID by Fedora maintainers/devs, like this one:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1355763
                      not by fedora devs, but by upstream xfce devs https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce...ly/031700.html
                      : use Pulse Audio with XFCE or fuck off.
                      that is correct answer, though it could be simplified to just fuck off

Comment

Working...
                      X