X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"After 24 releases, Fedora finally ships with Wayland"
    Lunduke, Bryan

Comment

Several years ago I first caught a glimpse of Fedora developers being actively hostile towards its end users. And now Fedora 25 has reached the apex of hostility. Using a barely functional graphical subsystem which doesn't natively support hundreds of legacy programs is beyond imbecile. Yeah, I'm perfectly aware of the X server emulation in Wayland but then even if we're talking purely about Wayland, it's just not generally ready to run your displays. Too many things are either outright broken or not supported.

Now, I'm a bit lost 'cause I've been using Fedora since RedHat 5.0 and I don't know what distro to upgrade to. Certainly it won't be a deb or source based distro and that leaves me ... with CentOS 7 only. Luckily it'll be supported for 10+ years and maybe in 5+ years Wayland will become usable.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Several years ago I first caught a glimpse of Fedora developers being actively hostile towards its end users. And now Fedora 25 has reached the apex of hostility. Using a barely functional graphical subsystem which doesn't natively support hundreds of legacy programs is beyond imbecile.
        The point of Fedora is to test and push forward new technologies in Gnu/Linux world.
        Anyway you can switch to X.Org in a few clicks on login screen.

Comment

Now, I'm a bit lost 'cause I've been using Fedora since RedHat 5.0 and I don't know what distro to upgrade to. Certainly it won't be a deb or source based distro and that leaves me ... with CentOS 7 only. Luckily it'll be supported for 10+ years and maybe in 5+ years Wayland will become usable.
          You are exaggerating a bit. First time you log in, simply choose Xorg. That's it, gdm will remember this choice and never bother you again with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by coastiron View Post
            You have tree options:
            1. Don't use Wayland. Switch to X. It is probably done automatically for properietary Nvidia drivers.
            2. Use nouveau open-source driver.
            3. Change yours GPU for something more open-source friendly like Intel or AMD.
            I know right. I had that question exactly because I'm testing nouveau right now, and, well, to put it plainly it's not quite usable for my card yet.
            While 3 is an option for old hardware, I don't think I want to part with my GTX 660 yet (it has Vulkan and all that). Which leaves me with number 1. Sigh.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Last time i heard they were arranging a meeting of some sort. No idea if that happened or will happen and what the outcome was.

There are wayland devs involved in this here in phoronix. Maybe they can chime in.
            Yea, that's the last of what I remember too. Hmm.

Comment

Several years ago I first caught a glimpse of Fedora developers being actively hostile towards its end users. And now Fedora 25 has reached the apex of hostility. Using a barely functional graphical subsystem which doesn't natively support hundreds of legacy programs is beyond imbecile. Yeah, I'm perfectly aware of the X server emulation in Wayland but then even if we're talking purely about Wayland, it's just not generally ready to run your displays. Too many things are either outright broken or not supported.

Hostility? I've never met hostile Fedora dev.. On the contrary. Also Wayland is now on par with features with X11 (that was one of requirements for switch). Name what's broken (better yet, report it).

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post

Hostility? I've never met hostile Fedora dev.. On the contrary.
                I wouldn't blame them for throwing in a little bit of sarcasm when faced with **HIM**

Comment

The Xwayland server seems to work just fine for me. And if you think about it, it's almost exactly the same way X works currently. Modern X.org writes everything into a display buffer and gets the X compositor to display it. Xwayland writes everything to a display buffer and gets the Wayland compositor to display it.

Do you seriously expect developers to switch everything to Wayland before making it the default on Fedora?

Comment

Certainly it won't be a deb or source based distro and that leaves me ... with CentOS 7 only. Luckily it'll be supported for 10+ years and maybe in 5+ years Wayland will become usable.
                    Give deb a chance, millions of people can't be wrong ... tried deb once, never going back

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

Out of all possible problems that may arrise with this transition, numlock key is your biggest concern? WOW. Such importance, much priority.

(Is it reported anywhere?)
                      Actually, Wayland worked very well when I tested on my Fedora 24. The only no-go left (for me) is indeed the numlock bug. So yes, it's very encouraging that such a small problem is the only problem, but it's also sad that such a simple, yet crucial bug hasn't been fixed years ago, in the early days of GNOME and Wayland. As if absolutely everyone is using Linux on a laptop nowadays.
                      Last edited by Creak; 30 August 2016, 01:12 PM. Reason: added "for me"

Comment

Working...
                      X