Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 25 Alpha Released With Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Fedora 25 Alpha Released With Wayland By Default

After originally being delayed, Fedora 25 Alpha made it out today for those wanting to test this initial development snapshot of this next version of the Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution that is aiming to use Wayland by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what's the status of NVIDIA on Wayland? Haven't heard anything about that for quite a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      So what's the status of NVIDIA on Wayland? Haven't heard anything about that for quite a while now.
      It's stagnating due to Nvidia's differing opinion with the Wayland developers.

My guess is Nvidia will hold out until they either have to change or everyone else has changed to fit their design.

Anyone been following the mailing lists? I gave up on them when I bought my RX 480.

Comment

Fuck them, if they keep going the closed source route nobody will use their card on Linux in a matter of a few years.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I hope Fedora 25 will fix the numlock problem with Wayland though...

Comment

You have tree options:
            1. Don't use Wayland. Switch to X. It is probably done automatically for properietary Nvidia drivers.
            2. Use nouveau open-source driver.
            3. Change yours GPU for something more open-source friendly like Intel or AMD.

Comment

Last time i heard they were arranging a meeting of some sort. No idea if that happened or will happen and what the outcome was.

There are wayland devs involved in this here in phoronix. Maybe they can chime in.

Comment

is it usable?

Comment

I have been testing every now and then Wayland hardly without any problems. Some drop down menus (e.g. Steam) behave weird. Once I couldn't resize nor read all contest of .py window (I don't know whether is Wayland fault or not). Imo the biggest issue with Wayland is that you can't Alt + F2 + R Gnome DE. Still, very positive feelings about Wayland and looking forward it's to be default window manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    I hope Fedora 25 will fix the numlock problem with Wayland though...
                    Out of all possible problems that may arrise with this transition, numlock key is your biggest concern? WOW. Such importance, much priority.

(Is it reported anywhere?)

Comment

Working...
                    X