No announcement yet.

Trying Out Fedora 25 With Wayland, Early Benchmarks Included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume still no icons on the desktop? I haven't seen any nautilus commits on their GIT to allow nautilus-desktop to run on wayland (or even xwayland) yet. Nautilus-desktop is now separate from nautilus with it's own nautilus-desktop-canvas-view.c and related files to draw the icons. Nautilus-desktop can be used with other file managers like Nemo and Caja, so this would also fix that part of getting Wayland compatability for at least two other DE's.

I know GNOME does not default to using icons on the desktop, but a lot of us would never run without them. I'd love to see icons on a Wayland desktop but have not yet learned enough coding to write that myself.

Comment

I assume still no icons on the desktop? Not a GNOME default even in X but mandatory for a lot of us

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        Enlighten me please.
        How is gaming on a display server more than broadly relevant? I.e how badly could you screw up direct access through SDL where the display server would have to do nothing, beside some user input and other non cpu intensive tasks? (Besides background services and other crap dirtying cpu's like there is no tomorrow?).
        I am obviously assuming that this type of measurements happen in a fullscreen and not windowed mode.
        Would not actual timing in compositor and desktop rendering be more relevant than "more or less" passthrough rendering?
        It's not directly relevant, but that's the point. Without testing for regressions when making big platform changes like this, stuff can break and not get fixed.

Comment

Every time Ive tried Wayland there was some niggling bugs that annoyed me too much for it to be my daily driver,. The mouse input for xWayland and Kodi not working correctly were the main ones for me last time I checked. The thing is without Wayland going mainstream they won't get fixed, so I hope things will start to improve after Fedora 25.

The benefits of Wayland outweigh any small loses in game performance IMHO, the sooner we are using it as default, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            I assume still no icons on the desktop? I haven't seen any nautilus commits on their GIT to allow nautilus-desktop to run on wayland (or even xwayland) yet. Nautilus-desktop is now separate from nautilus with it's own nautilus-desktop-canvas-view.c and related files to draw the icons. Nautilus-desktop can be used with other file managers like Nemo and Caja, so this would also fix that part of getting Wayland compatability for at least two other DE's.

I know GNOME does not default to using icons on the desktop, but a lot of us would never run without them. I'd love to see icons on a Wayland desktop but have not yet learned enough coding to write that myself.
            I had a problem with this too and it seems that icons on GNOME Wayland is a low priority.

That said, I made a workaround script that returns icons to the desktop on GNOME Wayland.

Here is a 30 second video of how the script it works on Wayland:

If someone wants to try the script, I can share it.

Comment

xwayland is the wrapper of xorg so the comparison is correct between pure wayland and xorg softwares. Note that the wrapper adds an operation to adapt wayland to xorg in order to process the xorg native program. In any case wayland is superior to xorg compositor and this difference will be clear when developers complete the implementation of it on any software and desktop environments

Comment

probblems is that many don't understand the differences between xwayland (x11) and wayland. IF the person who proposes the test don't discriminate between this two levels of management, he makes a bad information.

Comment

Video players are still broken on Wayland. I think only mpv currently has support for wayland, and that too doesn't work well

Comment

vlc 4.0 will support wayland

Comment

Wayland works pretty well for me on Fedora 24 with Intel graphics.

But there's something really screwed up in gnome-shell and/or Mutter. With an external 4K monitor plugged into the 4K laptop and a lot of open windows, gnome-shell starts lagging badly, sometimes dropping below even 20 fps. Even the mouse cursor gets jumpy and unresponsive sometimes in gnome-shell. The Weston reference implementation and X.org maintain a responsive display in the same situation gnome-shell falls apart in.

Comment

Working...
                      X