Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Fedora 25 With Wayland, Early Benchmarks Included

Phoronix: Trying Out Fedora 25 With Wayland, Early Benchmarks Included

With the news from Friday that Fedora 25 will run Wayland by default I loaded up the current Fedora 25 development packages on a test system this weekend and I used that as my primary system for all of my business/production work this weekend. It went well and included are some early gaming benchmarks of Fedora 25 Workstation GNOME on Wayland and X.Org.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23454

Encouraging!

Thanks for the test Michael. Looking forward to similar tests in the future!

Comment

Nice. If it's usable in Fedora, maybe in a year or so it will be ready for more distros.

Comment

Very interesting stuff. I have a Core M hybrid tablet/notebook that might be ready for some Wayland soon.

Comment

Two questions:
          1. Do we know why we lose 1-5 fps when on Wayland? (Wayland is supposed to be more 3D-friendly, isn't it?)
          2. Is the numlock bug fixed in fedora 25? (it's always off when logging in a new session)

Comment

I too am wondering why there's a frame rate drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              Two questions:
              1. Do we know why we lose 1-5 fps when on Wayland? (Wayland is supposed to be more 3D-friendly, isn't it?)
              2. Is the numlock bug fixed in fedora 25? (it's always off when logging in a new session)
              I think #1 is because all of those games were probably running through the XWayland wrapper, which goes:
              Game > SDL (maybe) > XWayland (lighweight X wrapper) > Wayland > Display

Eventually, as games go to newer SDL versions and those SDL versions go through Wayland directly, that will change to:
              Game > SDL > Wayland > Display

The overhead of wrapping the X calls to wayland probably accounts for some of the difference.

Comment

Michael, were you able to enable desktop icons on Wayland in gnome tweak tool?

Comment

Compare with Ubuntu 16.10 with latest Unity 8 and Mir, that would be interesting, SDL2 runs on Mir I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I think #1 is because all of those games were probably running through the XWayland wrapper, which goes:
                    Game > SDL (maybe) > XWayland (lighweight X wrapper) > Wayland > Display

Eventually, as games go to newer SDL versions and those SDL versions go through Wayland directly, that will change to:
                    Game > SDL > Wayland > Display

The overhead of wrapping the X calls to wayland probably accounts for some of the difference.
                    More likely that Mutter still doesn't unredirect fullscreen windows, hence everything is composited.
                    A GNOME dev explained it here: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...641#post573641

Comment

Working...
                    X