Wayland / Weston 1.12 Now Available In Alpha Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Num Lock NEVER worked properly on Linux for me. Starting without it is OK, I guess, but:
    - Every time you switch VT, its status change without updating the light
    - It seems to be reset in many places: if I boot with num-lock (BIOS), it gets disabled later, with the VT, and usually with the DM.
    - As stated previously, the light is updated sporadically: not on sleep resume, not on logkscreen, etc.

So, basically, my concerns boil down to the num lock indicator on the keyboard. It can be updated by using Caps Lock, but this is impratical.

Also, I wonder why isn't scroll lock used... at all, it seems. Not even an indicator light. I would like to see it used more, in the virtual terminals, for instance.
    Damn I never payed attention but you're right, changing the VT completely mess up the numlock status. And actually caps lock and scroll lock work in VT, it's just that the LEDs don't change at all.

This brings me to another question: this kind of problem is trivial in programming, if several components need to know and control the current status of something, then the controller of this thing must be in a common place. So what is the common place of DEs, WMs and VTs? The kernel, for sure, but is there something a bit less common? A common layer between these and the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

Damn I never payed attention but you're right, changing the VT completely mess up the numlock status. And actually caps lock and scroll lock work in VT, it's just that the LEDs don't change at all.

This brings me to another question: this kind of problem is trivial in programming, if several components need to know and control the current status of something, then the controller of this thing must be in a common place. So what is the common place of DEs, WMs and VTs? The kernel, for sure, but is there something a bit less common? A common layer between these and the kernel?
      Honestly, I don't really know where nor how this is managed, but given how "well" it is, I would say that every program basically tries to manage it its own way. I would probably have to diagnose this, but I never got the patience to start.
      I just figured out that scroll lock would prevent me to see my command history on the VT, but didn't allow to scroll trough the screen, which would be the expected behaviour, IMO.

I also just noticed that with my two screens, I now have corruption in VT on my larger screen, out of the region which is redrawn simultaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I would like to see Weston support window positioning using hotkeys (such as WinKey+RightArrow), and edge resistance for easier window positioning.
        Weston isn't used anywhere, it's just a reference for others.
        Each desktop environment has its own Wayland display server in the compositor.

If you had issues, it's GNOME's or KDE's or whatever else's fault, not Weston's, please complain accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Install enlightenment and i think it has both of them. Weston is not supposed to be a DE.
          Enlightenment lacks other things like say good themes, and it is so niche that most distros don't offer it as a first class citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Enlightenment lacks other things like say good themes, and it is so niche that most distros don't offer it as a first class citizen.
            You want useless blink (themes) or something that is logical and works. Personally i prefer the second. And yes there are things missing in E functionality but at least i don't think it was designed by crazy people.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              You want useless blink (themes) or something that is logical and works.
              I want it to not look like pre-gingerbread Android, yes. I'm not as eager to use wayland to ditch as important functionality as themes/widgets that don't look like obsolete embedded crap.

And last time I looked, the only enlightenment that had a logical placement of things on my desktop was Bodhi Linux's, that is a fork of an ancient enlightenment version available ONLY on ubuntu (in its own distro).

Comment

Working...
              X