Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Founder Kristian Høgsberg Is The Latest Open-Source Developer Leaving Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    and yet Intel's sales and profits are not falling; this is another case where The Street demands indefinite growth and when sales aren't to their liking they demand action; personally I think the kind of action Intel are taking might improve things in the short term but weaken them in the long term.
    Please note, when sales are falling hard it's too late to act. You need to act BEFORE that happens.

PC sales are declining man, that is a fact. Also, current technology is very near a dead end as Moore's law is not in effect anymore and R&D costs are on the rise.

Comment

This is pretty sad news, any word on what his plan is? Work more on wayland? Go work for samsung on wayland and efl/tizen? I want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Intel outsources gfx development partly right now. Not sure what Igalia will do after (E)GL is feature complete.Vulkan seems to be developed directly from Intel. Android with Intel based smartphones was a very small market, Intel tablets are shifting over to Windows 10. But maybe this can change again with next gen Atom chips. As soon as HEVC Main 10 is supported they could produce a 4k Nexus Player or power smart TVs. Tizen might be a bit more important for Intel as they have got more control about it. I still think that Android is a growing market but selling very cheap CPUs might not be the best for Intel...
        There's some rumours that Intel have actually stopped their Android development. AFAIK Atom is dead. I think they're focusing on Core-M and IOT (which is higher, and lower, than thier current Android segment) currently.

Comment

@debianxfce

Server CPU use usally more cores than desktop ones but basically you develop more or less the same. I doubt that there will be no new desktop CPUs. AMD is years behind, no idea what marketing Zen will use - if AMD targets main stream then the price must be lower than comparable Intel ones. And data centers need lots of CPUs - for a high price. Now Intel can also sell Knights Landing chips, which have got currently 72 Atom cores. Basically Intel just wants to get rid of the Atom name and use Celeron/Pentium instead. Intel sold many mobile chips with PowerVR gfx core, i don't think that was very profitable - the last Atom x3 used Mali gfx. For IoT you don't need gfx, so it should be possible to produce something real cheap. You can be sure Atom will evolve but the branding will not be used that much any more - renamed and used in several places. Android development is not really hard for Intel anymore i guess. As soon as OpenGL ES support is feature complete you could run it with completely open stack - you can reuse Android x86 code - therefore this will be the next target after OpenGL 4.5. Old chips are not the main target, just "current" ones need to support it. But i see certain shifts to outsourcing - only contracted as long as needed - this increases flexibility but might be a bit more expensive in the short term.

Comment

Lack of money or personel problem? I wish a better future for Kristian and his linux graphics development then for Intel's top managers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Silicon Valley definitely prefers her. It's amazing just how crooked American businesses are in terms of how easily they can buy favors from politicians.
              It's funny you mention this b/c recently I've wondered how traceable is that influence.
              I need to take a look at the sunlight foundation api to see if it's possible to tease out how much influence that money is able to buy. Unfortunately, without knowing the politician's un-waxed viewpoints, I don't think you can get definitive answers.

EDIT:
              duby229 hit one of the big problems with this comment
              Last edited by liam; 11 July 2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post

All of the tech companies I deal with LOATH her. I am sure California loves her but there are a lot of other places that don't.
                Judging by her (dis)approval numbers you are obviously right (about other places not liking her).
                I've not met many developers that despise her, but I've no doubt many exist who feel otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Most of the reason she isn't as despised is that most of the tech world is composed of white males, AND the fact that Trump is something like 5 orders of magnitude more batshit crazy.

If she was running against someone less Trump, she would be much less popular. Considering the standards of Repubblican party in the US, it's unlikely to ever happen.
                  I'm not sure about that first part.
                  According to this article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...obama-in-2012/) white males are not a particularly strong segment for her.
                  If we look at contributions, women seem to be more likely to provide her with funding:http://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/do...6&id=N00000019

I can't argue the rest

Comment

I can only hope that candidates/parties outside the Democratic-Republican duopoly will at least receive greater consideration than usual from the US body politic, even if ultimately not receiving many more votes as a result, although I think this is unlikely.

I'm sure whoever receives the majority, or even if just a plurality, of the popular vote (if that results in an absolute majority of the electoral vote, which is not assured) will take it to mean their administration has been given carte blanche, rather than realize that votes they received outside of their cohort of partisans are due to the candidate being regarded as the lesser of presented evils, which is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Comment

Working...
                    X