Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Founder Kristian Høgsberg Is The Latest Open-Source Developer Leaving Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Silicon Valley definitely prefers her. It's amazing just how crooked American businesses are in terms of how easily they can buy favors from politicians.
    That's true. But the pawn isn't the politician it's the lobbyist. The politicians are taking money and doing what they were doing anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Clinton isn't nearly as despised in the tech world based on my experiences, so, yeah, nice false equivalence.
      All of the tech companies I deal with LOATH her. I am sure California loves her but there are a lot of other places that don't.

Comment

Clinton isn't nearly as despised in the tech world based on my experiences, so, yeah, nice false equivalence.
        Most of the reason she isn't as despised is that most of the tech world is composed of white males, AND the fact that Trump is something like 5 orders of magnitude more batshit crazy.

If she was running against someone less Trump, she would be much less popular. Considering the standards of Repubblican party in the US, it's unlikely to ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Most of the reason she isn't as despised is that most of the tech world is composed of white males, AND the fact that Trump is something like 5 orders of magnitude more batshit crazy.

If she was running against someone less Trump, she would be much less popular. Considering the standards of Repubblican party in the US, it's unlikely to ever happen.
          Personally I'm voting for Clinton. I don't like her exactly, I just think she'll end up with less power.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post

All of the tech companies I deal with LOATH her. I am sure California loves her but there are a lot of other places that don't.
            Nobody likes Clinton, she's seen as the epitomy of politicians.

But Trump is viewed as downright crazy and dangerous, at least by a lot of those highly-educated and more well-off people in the tech sector.

Plus, the tech companies are all about increasing immigration so they can import workers, and expanding their business overseas to new markets. It's no surprise that an anti-immigration isolationist candidate is not viewed very favorably by many businesses.

Comment

The world doesn't revolve around you and your experiences, so no it is not a false equivalence. There are plenty of people confused as to how she could still have access to classified information let alone run for president. I can't wait to listen to Hillary go on about the difficulties she has faced being a woman when other people in her situation are being bars. It's ok though, because she claimed ignorance after being caught in a lie. This makes it all better.

Comment

Intel outsources gfx development partly right now. Not sure what Igalia will do after (E)GL is feature complete.Vulkan seems to be developed directly from Intel. Android with Intel based smartphones was a very small market, Intel tablets are shifting over to Windows 10. But maybe this can change again with next gen Atom chips. As soon as HEVC Main 10 is supported they could produce a 4k Nexus Player or power smart TVs. Tizen might be a bit more important for Intel as they have got more control about it. I still think that Android is a growing market but selling very cheap CPUs might not be the best for Intel...

Comment

desktop arch is not dead yet btw millions of game consoles are based on it. Sure it is not gaining more markets but it would be difficult to build arm workstations (or lets say it would take some time to port all the CAD, etc software on it). Anti-Power-Useres may stick to Tablets and Phones instead of Big-Tower Desktopsolutions but I guess there will be plenty of remaining desktopusers out there. e.g. even 32bit Systems are still among us...it thought they will be dead 10 years ago....

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    desktop arch is not dead yet
                    Cheapo crap devices. No. debianxfce is saying "developing". Intel will keep on selling crap that falls off the server chip design table, but will no more push so hard on the consumer market.

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    (or lets say it would take some time to port all the CAD, etc software on it)
                    Knowing most of these fuckers, I'd say most would simply not do so and force you to use a 1000$+ server CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Intel will focus to IOT and other cheap products among server products. Expensive desktop products were not profitable and now the whole desktop cpu department is reduced.

If amd goes bankrupt, nobody develops desktop cpus anymore. Arm cpus are one option, but a lot of software should be ported to arm architecture. I would like to play TR2013 with my octa-core Mediatek 6752 Mali T-760 MP2 processor.
                      and yet Intel's sales and profits are not falling; this is another case where The Street demands indefinite growth and when sales aren't to their liking they demand action; personally I think the kind of action Intel are taking might improve things in the short term but weaken them in the long term.

Comment

Working...
                      X