Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Founder Kristian Høgsberg Is The Latest Open-Source Developer Leaving Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People leave companies, it isn't necessarily a bad sign.

Sometimes needs change and the job becomes less fulfilling. Sometimes a lifestyle change forces a move. Sometimes a really great offer is waved under your nose. Sometimes you just need a change.

I don't think any alarm bells need to go off over this. Intel will continue to support graphics on Free and open source software. Wayland will continue. No doubt Mr. Høgsberg will move on to do something as amazing and important as Wayland and we'll all benefit.

All the best to him.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
      People leave companies, it isn't necessarily a bad sign.

Sometimes needs change and the job becomes less fulfilling. Sometimes a lifestyle change forces a move. Sometimes a really great offer is waved under your nose. Sometimes you just need a change.

I don't think any alarm bells need to go off over this. Intel will continue to support graphics on Free and open source software. Wayland will continue. No doubt Mr. Høgsberg will move on to do something as amazing and important as Wayland and we'll all benefit.

All the best to him.
      Yeah, I fully agree with you. A man with his reputation and history will certainly find a new position where he'll be able to continue working on the projects he wants.

Comment

wayland implementation over linux operating systems will have any problems from this event?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          wayland implementation over linux operating systems will have any problems from this event?
          As far as I know, Mr. Høgsberg wasn't the lead maintainer on Wayland any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
            A quick scroll through Kristian's Twitter and 5 minutes of research yields the impression that quite a few people at Intel were not happy about their CEO proposing a Trump fundraiser. Sometimes it's more about leaving where you are than it is about finding somewhere new.
            I doubt many people would be happy about a Clinton fundraiser either. These are the cards we were dealt.

Comment

Originally posted by leiptrstormr View Post

I doubt many people would be happy about a Clinton fundraiser either. These are the cards we were dealt.
              This sounds nice an neutral, but we're talking about one guy, not "people". Seriously, there's a link to his twitter in the article, take less than a minute to scroll back through his last 30 tweets or so. The tweets don't really require much interpretation or analysis.

Comment

>A quick scroll through Kristian's Twitter and 5 minutes of research yields the impression that quite a few people at Intel were not happy about their CEO proposing a Trump fundraiser.

>This sounds nice an neutral, but we're talking about one guy, not "people".

hmm

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  I think it has more to do with Intel scaling back their Android development.
                  Android was once a big part of Intel's plans in mobile devices, but the company is paying much less attention to the OS.

They won't be needing those engineering resources then, and Chrome OS alone probably won't justify having that many people on the payroll.
                  Chromebooks are selling really well. IIRC, they just passed apple for in quarterly sales.
                  The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Aside from that, they've always had a big graphics team for the open source world.

The android issue is certainly true, however, but, again, they've had a big team for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by leiptrstormr View Post

Clinton isn't nearly as despised in the tech world based on my experiences, so, yeah, nice false equivalence.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Clinton isn't nearly as despised in the tech world based on my experiences, so, yeah, nice false equivalence.
                      Silicon Valley definitely prefers her. It's amazing just how crooked American businesses are in terms of how easily they can buy favors from politicians.

Comment

Working...
                      X