A Wayland Developer Shares His Concerns About NVIDIA's EGLStreams Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
    If you are not going to accomodate the hardware,in either the OS or in this case display protocol, i see no point in that useless OS/protocol
    you are living in some fantasy world, it is not how hardware drivers are developed in reality. there are only two ways: 1) os vendor declares how to make drivers and hardware vendor develops driver accordingly or 2) hardware vendor describes how to drive its hardware and os vendor develops driver accordingy
    hardware vendor declaring how os driver has to be structured goes to fuck itself or develop its own os
    On a side note for clarification.It has been stated Nvidia could of got involved earlier. So did any one get in touch with Nvidia earlier? Did they bother making an effort to have them included earlier?
    it has been stated numerous times that nvidia was aware of the issue since 2014 but they continued to try to fuck everyone else
    So in another 20 years when asked why GNU/linux failed so badly? It all came down to a handful of intelligent people,proclaiming glorious freedoms, making many moronic decisions,destroying hardware freedom to millions of others along the way.
    linux isn't failed, no matter what average internet moron thinks. linux is most used operating system in the world with shipments in billions of android devices each year. and nvidia like all other hardware vendors just implements android drivers as os vendor told them to do.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Indeed but does nvidia have any customers in this area?
      i'm not sure whether nvidia considers slaves who where tricked into buying their cards their customers

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        "...creating more work for everyone with no real benefits."

Isn't that sort of the whole point of Wayland?
        Wayland is X12 without a name that would mislead people's expectations about how the API should look. Its purpose is to fix all of the flaws that are simply too deeply rooted in X11's design to be fixed any other way.

Here's a video by one of the people behind it explaining what Wayland is and why X11 needs to be replaced:

Please note, that I don't own this video. At the time servers hosting original file were overloaded so I re-uploaded for user's convenience.Original file was...

Spoiler: They're all long-time X11 developers who pushed their brilliance to the limit in trying to fixing X11 without replacing it.

(I've rewatched it several times in the years since it was posted because the guy's a very entertaining presenter.)
        Last edited by ssokolow; 17 May 2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I bought a GTX 970 or 960 six months or so back, wish I hadn't now. Whilst it works, I'm pretty disgusted with this whole thing and the firmware blob delays.
          I'm not much of a gamer but I'll look at AMD next time for sure.

Comment

Working...
          X