No announcement yet.

Streams vs. GBM: The Fight Continues Over NVIDIA's Proposed Wayland Route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the past I would have been worried about a news like this one, now I'm not.
    Because AMD are doing a wonderful work to open their driver )other than other part, as the project GPUopen shows) and I expect a continuous improvement on the performance side as well as the OpenGL 4.5 compliance and Vulkan compliance target will be reached.

This means that my next graphic card will be AMD for sure, thus I can't care less about what NVIDIA does or does not about their path to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      When I read that: " nvidia has no linux driver", I hope that Michael will put an "unlike" button one day
      well, subject article is all about nvidia's windows driver incompatibility with linux, no matter how you attached to it

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        NVIDIA has released 3 driver updates from memory that enable Vulkan under Linux.
        nvidia doesn't develop linux driver, it is developed by other people and called nouveau. nvidia released their windows driver, which doesn't work on linux, subject article is just one of examples.
        Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        AMD still only has a PREVIEW driver which is restricted to Kernel 4.1 or lower
        what are you smoking ? mesa works with all current and future kernels

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          nvidia doesn't develop linux driver, it is developed by other people and called nouveau. nvidia released their windows driver, which doesn't work on linux, subject article is just one of examples.

what are you smoking ? mesa works with all current and future kernels
          huh? nvidia driver works just fine here. and it has drm and kms.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            In general, hardware manufacturers must be treated like shit and kept in line with violence, as MS always did.
            If it wasn't for them, PC space would be like ARM space, no standards anywhere, and the operating system has to be hacked to run AT ALL on EACH SPECIFIC device.

I personally support the "STFU and OBEY" that OS and GUI developers are saying to NVIDIA. That's how hardware manufacturers must be treated if you want to keep the PC what it is.

Weston is the demo compositor using Wayland protocol (the one to show how it should be done).

Any other compositor using Wayland protocol (each DE has its own) will have the same issues.

Learn to quote properly if you want to troll.

And this how you get bluescreens and shitty drivers. Because hardware devs have no input in the infrastructure... Honestly i am glad nvidia is doing this. All these "abstraction" layers lead to bad performance and feature restriction. I would rather eglstreams from the khronos standard as well instead of something linux specific. Just be honest this about mesa, and i dont like mesa at all.

Comment

well, subject article is all about nvidia's windows driver incompatibility with linux, no matter how you attached to it
              Actually, no. It's about Wayland.

As you'll notice, nvidia's driver works fine with X.org.

It has nothing to do with "Linux" but you can try to be as cute as you'd like by calling it a "Windows driver", but you're just making yourself look silly.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                huh? nvidia driver works just fine here. and it has drm and kms.
                you already admit that it didn't work until 364.12, that is a nice progress.
                now think about non-intel platform, or non-nvidia-blessed-x-server
                "
                you can have any color as long as it's black"
                Last edited by pal666; 13 May 2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Actually, no. It's about Wayland.
                  wayland is part of current linux display stack. nvidia doesn't support current linux display stack - this is the subject point. support for some arbitrary obsolete subset does not count

Comment

wayland is part of current linux display stack.
                    so is surfaceflinger. let me know when AMD supports it.

Comment

Isn't surfacefinger is used in Android x86 and Android x86 works perfectly fine with Mesa?

Comment

Working...
                      X