Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you could write your shitty game unrestrictedly slow
    I didn't realize DX12 was working on Linux.

Ohh that's right, you just pulled some lone benchmark out of your arse.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      there are many things you do not realize. like nvidia has no linux driver at all and vulkan has same results as dx12

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Ohh that's right, you just pulled some lone benchmark out of your arse.
        lol,

In regards to pal666 comments,

If you look at some 'newer' DX12 results, it shows NVIDIA catching up where they lacked in early DX12 driver results. So there isn't a clear definitive graphics card winner for DX12 or Vulkan quite yet, even thought code wise AMD should be winning in that area (that is not the clear case, since NVIDIA is somehow doing better with Vulkan under Windows).

The major issue is that Vulkan games are not present day games except for Ashes and Talos. There isn't a HUGE amount of current release games that will have Vulkan, leaving us with OpenGL performance to compare for most Linux situations. I'm hoping WarThunder gets a Vulkan API patch sometime in the future however...

Ultimately at the end of the day, OpenGL is not going away any time soon, don't expect EVERYONE to suddenly go Vulkan API, that will probably take years to happen!

there are many things you do not realize. like nvidia has no linux driver at all and vulkan has same results as dx12
        What have you been smoking? NVIDIA has released 3 driver updates from memory that enable Vulkan under Linux. AMD still only has a PREVIEW driver which is restricted to Kernel 4.1 or lower (you can mess around to enable for higher Kernels but its not something a typical Linux user would be expected to know howto do!)
        Last edited by theriddick; 13 May 2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
          Who the hell do these clowns think they are telling 1 of only 3 GPU manufactures what is best practice.
          I hate to burst your bubble, but nvidia DESKTOP/LAPTOP GPUs are the only ones affected. nvidia embedded (tegra) are not. now 3 gpu vendors. bubble pop time. there's nvidia (only one line of GPUs affected - their other embedded not), AMD/ATI, Intel, ARM (Mali), IMGTEC (SGX etc.), Vivante, Qualcomm, Broadcom, ... Just for starters. so assuming tegra vs "big" GPUs are 2 separate GPUs in this discussion then 1 out of 9 are affected. not one in 3.

And the discussion is "we're already doing a lot of work moving to wayland, you just made it a whole lot harder and provide only a single implementation of your extensions which makes it really hard to test as you then have to use that specific proprietary driver and have those GPUs. That leads to code rot and it's not desired when there is an existing implementation already supported and working that can be extended to do what you ultimately want. So why ask everyone else to do this the hard way with poorer results?"
          Last edited by raster; 13 May 2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            AMD Warthunder 4k = 30fps
            NVIDIA Warthunder 4k = 80fps

Yeah I will likely just NOT use Wayland if my choice came down to the above results for my next videocard purchase. (I don't see AMD doubling-tripling their OpenGL performance any day soon, sadly)
            Well for me on Ubuntu Mate 16.04
            AMD Victor Vran 1080p = 60fps
            NVIDIA Victor Vran 1080p = 30-40 fps

AMD Tomb Raider 1080p = 60fps
            NVIDIA Tomb Raider 1080p = 50fps
            and overall better performance on AMD on all my games.

AMD HD7850 mesa 11.2
            NVIDIA GTX560Ti 364.19

Comment

zero. what makes you think there is some cost? nvidia misses some things from current version of gbm. surprise: current non-existent version of streams misses everything and has no performance at all. on the other hand there is a huge cost of using non-gbm: you have to write its support into every toolkit/compositor and maintain it afterwards. nobody will do that, even nvidia, they have some crazy fantasy they will patch weston and everyone else will follow.
              Do you have facts for that ? Benchmarks ? Not...
              Trying so hard to bash NVidia is just childish.

Comment

When I read that: " nvidia has no linux driver", I hope that Michael will put an "unlike" button one day

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

When I read that: " nvidia has no linux driver", I hope that Michael will put an "unlike" button one day
                  He means that Nvidia doesn't have any OSS Linux driver and for many people (me included) that means that they are not an option...especially when they behave like this...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

And also bring back the blocklist, pleaseā€¦

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      Yeah EGLStreams is sooo proprietary. It's only a Khronos spec....
                      Proprietary does not need to be closed when EGLStreams only benefits no one but Nvidia status quo for their lack of contribution to GBM stack.

Comment

Working...
                      X