Unity Developer Is Working On SDL Port To Allow Mir & Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity Developer Is Working On SDL Port To Allow Mir & Wayland Support

Phoronix: Unity Developer Is Working On SDL Port To Allow Mir & Wayland Support

A Unity developer leading the Engineering Tools team at Unity Technologies has been working on porting the game engine to SDL in order to make it portable to Mir and Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

EDIT - I read it wrong.Deleted

Comment

that seems very promising.
      Not only for Wayland/Mir.

Comment

I hope Wine does this, instead of being so tightly bound to X11. Requiring an X server under OS X and in future under Wayland.

Also they could run sound through SDL instead of maintaining their own audio 'drivers' for everything.

Wine is a great project, but does like to (re-)invent a lot of its own infrastructure. Most probably because of its age. (It's a lot older than SDL 2).

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
          Requiring an X server under OS X
          Nope

I have no problems using wine with macdriver instead of x11 for a long time.

Comment

Assault Android Cactus is a Unity game and they port it to SDL2, a couple months ago.

I really hope Unity developers embrace SDL2 sooner, because their engine have poor Linux integration. Controllers are handled via whitelist (excluding the Xbox One gamepad, for example) , and I can't remember any Unity game having surround sound.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I really hope Unity developers embrace SDL2 sooner, because their engine have poor Linux integration. Controllers are handled via whitelist (excluding the Xbox One gamepad, for example) , and I can't remember any Unity game having surround sound.
              Indeed, native SDL2 support with input device integration would be more enticing than Wayland display support. Please let's ditch the Unity screen of nope and make games on Linux more of a first class citizen.

Comment

Working...
              X