Google Chrome 50 Released With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
    libvdpau does indeed have a hard dependency upon X; AFAIK: try "ldd /usr/lib64/libvdpau.so". VA-API works fine with Wayland.
    Ahh, thanks for checking. Nice to know that at least VA-API doesn't depend on X.

Comment

I heard about X12 sometime ago, anyone has some news about that?

Comment

Originally posted by eddielinux View Post
        I heard about X12 sometime ago, anyone has some news about that?
        Go back in the thread, the wiki got linked. X12 was never a 'real' project, it was a wishlist of "If we were going to burn X11 to the ground-- which it needs to be-- what would we do differently the next time around?" The result was Wayland.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

amazing news, I'll try it on the forthcoming Kubuntu release.

Comment

Transition to Wayland compositor will be one of the mosto important improvement on linux system.

Comment

Michael, funny you mentioned Wayland support when official Chrome binaries don't support Wayland at all, yet you didn't mention that 32 bit Linux packages were dropped entirely.

I guess the thread should've been named Chromium Browser, not Google Chrome.

Comment

This new update does not run anymore on XP, Vista and what is more important: Debian 7 wheezy. I made a repo hack to update just the minimum for those who don't want to do a full upgrade, but thats no good solution. No only glibc needed an upgrade but gcc-4.9 was needed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Now they have [two] maintain to apis, that is a waste of resources and will [therefore] decrease quality.
                  Lol. Lol. Lol. I thought "too many cooks spoil the soup," mane. What forced you to whistle a different tune?

Xserver is fast and stable with Xfce, no any need need to wayland from end users perspective.
                  Less overhead for embedded graphics is a win, win, win. Also, since mobile phones don't use XFCE as the GUI, less screen-tearing for mobile WMs is a win, win, win.

When xserver is working fine and widely used it is stupid to change the api just because the developers are lazy, now they must do double work.
                  With that kind of attitude, I wonder why we're not still riding horses and communicating via telegraph.

This is stupid phenomenon with python, gstreamer and many other apis in linux.
                  Comparing apples to dead horses, I see. No wonder why your new account got nuked, Q.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    Michael, funny you mentioned Wayland support when official Chrome binaries don't support Wayland at all, yet you didn't mention that 32 bit Linux packages were dropped entirely.

I guess the thread should've been named Chromium Browser, not Google Chrome.
                    Doesn't Chromium and Chrome have the same code base (except for some proprietary additions for Chrome)? In this case I'd expect to see in the next release of Google Chrome the Wayland code that's being discussed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                      Doesn't Chromium and Chrome have the same code base (except for some proprietary additions for Chrome)? In this case I'd expect to see in the next release of Google Chrome the Wayland code that's being discussed here.

When I saw Google Chrome, I was thinking about the browser which can be downloaded from https://www.google.com/chrome/ and was "Oh nice, I can get oob wayland support now. But those packages aren't built with wayland support, despite the code being available in the chromium source.

Comment

Working...
                      X