No announcement yet.

Google Chrome 50 Released With Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the off-topic, but.. How about they enable VDPAU/VAAPI? Seriously, WTF Google?

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
      From my point of view Wayland is disaster, i expected that there would be Xserver features parity, i Wayland need some coding and support on app side its wrong.
      AFAIK you're as a dev don't have to communicate with Wayland — unless you're coding something like a WM — but to rather use toolkits like Qt, GTK, and such, which takes care of whatever underlying window system.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
        From my point of view Wayland is disaster, i expected that there would be Xserver features parity, i Wayland need some coding and support on app side its wrong.
        how could Wayland be a Disaster? compared to Mir? afaik Mir runs ontop of Wayland, Wayland 1.11 when it comes out will have many more needed features to be default. . if anything Xserver is the Disaster. always has problems. just google those Xserver problems. Wayland Devs had to start from somewhere, all of it wont be finished over night . Unity in Ubungu is a Disaster

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          Also it has unicode regex support
          Where?

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            Sorry for the off-topic, but.. How about they enable VDPAU/VAAPI? Seriously, WTF Google?
            I don't think nVidia ever cared enough about Wayland to make VDPAU not dependent of X

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

If you honestly believe that, you haven't been paying attention. X is horrendously broken and we can't ever fix it's most glaring problems without drafting a NEW X protocol.
              Could you be specific and tell us what it is that you yourself are trying to do in X which you cannot do because X is broken and won't do what you're trying to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

if anything Xserver is the Disaster. always has problems.
                Could you be specific and tell us what it is that you yourself are trying to do in X which you cannot do because X is a Disaster and won't do what you're trying to do with it?

Comment

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the current ozone-wayland implementation is embedded only. That is, it doesn't utilise a desktop toolkit, no gtk3 UI integration. Unless something has changed recently, there isn't even support for moving browser windows by dragging the title bar. That said, it is very fast, and it does utilise VA-API on Wayland for video decoding, which doesn't work on the default X11 Chrome/Chromium through Xwayland*, even when VA-API enabled with the "enable-vaapi-on-Linux" patch which I always update for each Chromium build.

Browser support is the only thing keeping me from switching over to Wayland (gnome-shell) full-time. Under native X11, I have a choice between several performant browsers, with accelerated compositing. [tear-free 60Hz scrolling is something very difficult to give up once you're used to it!] Even Epiphany, which officially "works" under Wayland, doesn't. The situation may be better under KF5, and I believe the EFL Webkit port does support hw accel under Wayland, maybe it's time to try the new Enlightenment/Wayland...

* I don't about for anybody else, but for me Chromium though Xwayland, fails to achieve any hw accel at all. Recent versions also need to be started with GDK_BACKEND=x11 to prevent it crashing on input!

Comment

Originally posted by Remote User View Post

Could you be specific and tell us what it is that you yourself are trying to do in X which you cannot do because X is broken and won't do what you're trying to do with it?
                    Oh, he could be trying to run a graphics stack and not having a bloated mess running in the background. If he's running X then if he tried this then he would fail.

Or he could be trying to initiate the screensaver while a context menu is open.

Or he could be trying to type in his password without the risk of a basic, easily-written keylogger sending the data to attackers.

Or he could be trying to run a tiling WM that doesn't flicker annoyingly just by moving or resizing a window.

You get the point, there's plenty of stuff that he could be trying and failing with X due to the fact that it's ancient, broken and utterly insecure by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

If you honestly believe that, you haven't been paying attention. X is horrendously broken and we can't ever fix it's most glaring problems without drafting a NEW X protocol.
                      Works for me, and all existing Linux users.

Wayland does not, even after 10 years of development. It is better on paper and fixes many things that are not very nice in X, but since X is NOT broken, no one has been forced to upgrade and Wayland provides very little, since it is only slightly better on the technical side, but is missing features (which means broken in real life).

Comment

Working...
                      X