Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Alpha X.Org vs. (X)Wayland Gaming Tests

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Alpha X.Org vs. (X)Wayland Gaming Tests

With testing Fedora 24 Alpha this week, I also spent some time test driving the GNOME on Wayland experience even though developers have already decided F24 will continue to use the X.Org Server by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why NVIDIA's official driver didn't appear in the tests? Is it not working yet?

Comment

yeah, nvidia's beta driver requires compositors support eglsteams.

Comment

So does x-wayland fix tearing for x-sessions? Or is Wayland still at the mercy of the async x-screen updates?

Comment

PSA: You still won't be able to use proper mouse input in games since wayland can't capture the mouse. So wayland isn't ready for gaming yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post
            PSA: You still won't be able to use proper mouse input in games since wayland can't capture the mouse. So wayland isn't ready for gaming yet.
            Yeah. I tried it once. It *kind of* worked, but it was really annoying. I do wish however that Wayland never allows arbitrary clients to capture the *keyboard*, because that same game didn't allow me to Alt-Tab out of it when I switched back to an X session.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post

PSA: The experimental mouse pointer locking and confinement protocol is implemented in GNOME 3.20. It only needs support in the toolkits like SDL.

https://github.com/elkrejzi/system-m...ve-mouse.patch

The dev who has been working on the protocol also has his own SDL branch.

There is also Xwayland with pointer warp support.
              https://github.com/jadahl/xserver/co...d-pointer-warp

I'm curious if Mutter 3.20 has support for properly unredirecting fullscreen Wayland and Xwayland windows.
              Last edited by blackout23; 01 April 2016, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                - download 1.5GB file, 7 minutes with 50Mbit/s 4G connection.
                And that is worth mentioning why?

- can not switch overlapping windows with a mouse, only by clicking the window if it was visible below the other.
                Not sure what you mean there. Are you referring to sloppy focus or ffm, by any chance? That should be configurable.

Testing also Debian Xfce Live, it works fast and Synaptic also works in the virtualbox. Testing pc: A8-7600 quad core 3.8Ghz cpu, 8GB 2133MHz ddr3 ram and 240GB ssd.
                Somehow I suspect a bit of a bias here. Particularly with that username.
                I might be wrong though.

Comment

First download 1.5GB, the N kbytes for gnome 3.20 update. Much smarter is debian testing netinstaller 400MB, it downloads latest testing packgages, no need to upgrade after installation and less file transfer errors.

Basic windows 3.1-7 like windows switching feature should be by default. It is also crazy to remove the menu bar of an application to the top. Xfce is way more configurable.

Try Debian Xfce, no bias, just technical facts.
                  People can use what ever username they want. What you do in the linux forum, linux is not unix:-) Phoronix Forums
                  1) Installing Arch with GNOME 3.20 probably also totals 400–500MB (ISO + package download), your point is?

2) That's your opinion. I don't want a taskbar, and am very content with the activity screen ("exposé" for people coming from Mac). Don't assume other people have the same preferences as you.

3) There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion. And it's very clear what you're rooting for …

4) Of course you are free to choose any username you like. But at the same time, people may judge you by it.

5) Linux is widely regarded as a popular kernel for Unix-like systems. Bad argument

Comment

Compiling all os components takes several hours, not very clever. Same minimal tuned effect you can with debian netinstaller, install only what you need. When using debian netinstaller you can choose from about 8 different desktops.
                    You're confusing Arch with Gentoo. And please stop trolling.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X