NVIDIA Publishes Patches For Its Driver To Work With Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    Just to put it in context from the same mail (https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/027559.html ) :
    And some more details:
    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/027577.html

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Yes.
      Thanks. From this post it sounded like they only focused in EGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post

Also, if you look at Nvidia's introductory post on the mailing list, it contains this:

we also needed extended functionality for EGLStreams and EGLOutput consumers provided by following extensions:

- EGL_NV_stream_attrib

- EGL_EXT_stream_acquire_mode

- EGL_NV_output_drm_flip_event

I don't know about you, but two _vendor_ extensions don't exactly scream "system-agnostic" to me.
        they're NV because they prototyped and implemented them first. If they ever get adopted they're probably going to go EXT.
        I think nvidia has to also think about other OSes (rather than just linux), and my guess is that (and their driver
        being a binary blob) is why they proposed this.
        If they only needed to care about linux, i'm sure they'd have implemented mesa-compatible GBM a long time ago, their
        engineers aren't dumb or lazy.

Comment

Hope AMD can do the same soon.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
            GBM is absolutely _not_ tied to Mesa, and has been implemented by other proprietary drivers just fine.
            I don't know, wikipedia seems to disagree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_%...fer_Management
            And I really mean I don't know, wikipedia can be wrong. I just have two contradicting statements here.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I don't know, wikipedia seems to disagree: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_%...fer_Management
              And I really mean I don't know, wikipedia can be wrong. I just have two contradicting statements here.
              It has a Vulkan section as well, but that doesn't mean Vulkan is Mesa-specific ...

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                It has a Vulkan section as well, but that doesn't mean Vulkan is Mesa-specific ...
                Originally posted by Wikipedia
                Generic Buffer Management (GBM) is an API which provides a mechanism for allocating buffers for graphics rendering tied to Mesa.
                Though, honestly it doesn't matter (if I understand correctly what GBM is or not). The reality is whatever Nvidia has released does not work out of the box with Weston. Hopefully that will change.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  Hope AMD can do the same soon.
                  Do what ? AFAIK Wayland/Weston has been running on AMD drivers for a long time now...
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Do what ? AFAIK Wayland/Weston has been running on AMD drivers for a long time now...
                    Yes it works with mesa. But the support for this methods is implemented in amdgpu-pro? Or the implementation for that is not related to mesa and OpenGL, and is implemented in the amdgpu kernel module? I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something... (Very good news if wayland works with amdgpu-pro!)

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post
                      Yes it works with mesa. But the support for this methods is implemented in amdgpu-pro? Or the implementation for that is not related to mesa and OpenGL, and is implemented in the amdgpu kernel module? I don't know if I'm misunderstanding something... (Very good news if wayland works with amdgpu-pro!)
                      I thought the discussion here was about adding modesetting functions to EGL, which our drivers (all-open and hybrid/pro) don't need because they both support native mode-setting in the drm/driver IOCTLs.

My impression was that the pro driver exposed all of the required bits to run Weston but I'm not sure if there has been any testing, so it's a good question.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X