NVIDIA Publishes Patches For Its Driver To Work With Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Publishes Patches For Its Driver To Work With Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: NVIDIA Publishes Patches For Its Driver To Work With Wayland's Weston

Following NVIDIA publishing a new Linux driver that supports Wayland and Mir alongside X11, a NVIDIA engineer followed through and posted patches of the EGL support changes needed by Wayland's Weston compositor to support the new driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about non GL based compositors? Can Wayland compositor use Vulkan / WSI and still work with Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What about non GL based compositors? Can Wayland compositor use Vulkan / WSI and still work with Wayland?
      Wayland is just buffers. It doesn't care how the compositor presents them - whether it's OpenGL, Vulkan, software rendered ASCII-art, or a VNC-like network packet that gets output.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Yes.
        As a member of Khronos, Collabora has been committed to improving EGL, OpenGL ES and OpenGL itself, and this continues with Vulkan.

Comment

The seems really a bet for Nvidia to post these patches.

So far their EGLStreams didn't have success on this side, and were told to use the same way than everybody else.
          I guess they added some missing functionnalities since, but still the problem is the "we propose our way, they don't want it, but we still want to force everybody to work with our solution".

Why would EGLStreams support be merged now, while before there were so much criticism with that approach ? Why would open source projects have to support a driver specific path ?
          This seems like they started an arm-wrestling contest, and are pushing their EGLStream until they win. Either they win and their path will get support, or they will have to do as everybody else. I don't like that attitude at all.

Comment

Could someone please explain why Weston needs patching to support the nvidia blob? I thought they already were using EGL...

Comment

Not looking good.

"I don't expect you'll ever be able to sell this to the community and get it merged. -Daniel"

Oh boy..

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
                Not looking good.

"I don't expect you'll ever be able to sell this to the community and get it merged. -Daniel"

Oh boy..
                Just to put it in context from the same mail (https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/027559.html ) :
                Andy did a presentation about these extensions at xdc 2014, and consensus reply from folks (not just me) was "no way". I've seen a few other discussions fly by meanwhile, with exactly the same opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
                  Not looking good.

Oh boy..
                  bad news.... :|

Andy did a presentation about these extensions at xdc 2014, and consensus reply from folks (not just me) was "no way". I've seen a few other discussions fly by meanwhile, with exactly the same opinions.
                  nvidia got feedback 2 years ago and just released something no one likes and something which maybe never will merged?

this is just sad, sorry.
                  Last edited by mezo; 22 March 2016, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

Just to put it in context from the same mail (https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/027559.html ) :
                    Way to go!

Comment

Working...
                    X