Canonical Has Initial Support For Vulkan Running On Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Canonical's a pesky NIH corporation. Bazaar, launchpad, upstart, mir, zfs, ... they simply refuse to use standard technology that the rest of the Linux land is using.
    ZFS wasn't invented there either and actually is a standard technology. More so, in fact, than BTRFS.

Comment

What desktop environments actually have natove wayland or mir support? XFCE? Cinnamon?

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
        What desktop environments actually have natove wayland or mir support? XFCE? Cinnamon?
        KDE 5, Gnome 3, Enlightenment, Weston...

Latest versions offers best support:
        Gnome 3.18 ~3.20
        KDE Plasma 5.6
        Enlightenment E20

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Gnome 3.18 ~3.20
          KDE Plasma 5.6
          Enlightenment E20

There is also Hawaii, Papyros Shell and some Tiling Wayland Compositors like sway, orbment, velox and experimental Wayland compositors like Motorcar for VR Desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

There is also Hawaii, Papyros Shell and some Tiling Wayland Compositors like sway, orbment, velox and experimental Wayland compositors like Motorcar for VR Desktops.
            Thanks for extending the list

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Canonical's a pesky NIH corporation. Bazaar, launchpad, upstart, mir, zfs, ... they simply refuse to use standard technology that the rest of the Linux land is using.
              Bazaar was released at the same time as git, a tiny bit earlier actualy. At the time of development there was an obvious need for distributed cvs, and no obvious solution.
              Upstart was developed much earlier than both OpenRC and systemd. It was also an obvious need.
              zfs is not GPL compatible, but it's open source, mature and reliable. It's a well tested server filesystem, and older than btrfs.
              launchpad is service/infrastructure, I'm not sure how it's related.

I fully agree that they screwed up regarding mir (and still hope they'll realize it at one point and implement mir as a wayland compositor)
              But I find it completely dishonest to accuse Canonical of not using standard tech when said tech did not exist at the time of development.
              Sure, they take a long time writing off projects that have better competitors, and the contributor agreement works against their solutions becomming standard. But still, these projects all predate current standard tech, and aimed at solving actual problems.

Comment

I feel like this was done for the sake of Mir's PR. To make it look neat and it show that Mir is not only still being heavily developed, but ahead of the curve. It may be that Vulkan will be the way to go for various Wayland compositors too as a potential way to save battery life on mobile. That being said, I think this is jumping the gun to implement this so early into Mir's life as well as possibly being early in Vulkan's life as well.

Since ZFS was also mentioned, I'll give my thoughts on that as well.

Seeing how ZFS is older than btrfs and runs on Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD, ZFS is definitely the more standard option. That being said, it's definitely still a mistake. ZFS keeps a lot of its data structures in memory, which is why the memory requirements are somewhat high for ZFS. Given modern hardware, I don't think this alone is such a big deal. However, ZFS trusts the integrity of everything in its memory, and if the wrong bit (s) are flipped in memory due to background radiation, you will lose your entire filesystem. This does and has happened to people.

This is all because ZFS was designed with the expectation of ECC memory. Given that it was designed for a server/workstation platform, this makes sense. But most users aren't going to have ECC memory.

Technically, all filesystems can be bit by this, but btrfs, ext4, xfs, ntfs etc are much less sensitive.

Your data might be totally fine for 1-3 years until one day where your filesystem can't even mount anymore.

Don't believe me? Look up the strong recommendations that FreeNAS has for ECC memory.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Gnome 3.18 ~3.20
                  KDE Plasma 5.6
                  Enlightenment E20
                  Thanks for info

Comment

Working...
                  X