Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Will Not Be The Default Of Fedora 24

Phoronix: Wayland Will Not Be The Default Of Fedora 24

While many developers worked very hard in trying to make GNOME 3.20 default to using Wayland rather than an X.Org Server for Fedora 24, this isn't going to happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am currently using Wayland full time on F23. I used to use Xorg but few days ago a seemingly hardware failure broke Xorg (hangs with blank screen at login) while Wayland still works.
    Overall Wayland works and I'm doing my work and earning my living on it right now, but I agree that it's still not ready to be the default. Issues I have so far include: mouse cursor sometimes is buggy; drag and drop not working well; unable to move chrome tabs between chrome windows; and issues running games on the radeon open source driver via dri_prime. On the plus side, Wayland doesn't have the memory leak that Xorg has on my system.

Comment

Fedora 25 was meant to come out not so long after 24. I would expect it to appear in 26 or even 27.

Comment

Awwwww! ... but I guess it's fair enough given the limitations.

Comment

this is Wrong Michael, there going to Re-visit it Next Wednesday the Go/NO-GO of Wayland whether its Default or not. https://meetbot-raw.fedoraproject.or...3-02-15.00.txt

Comment

Originally posted by fabdiznec View Post
            Awwwww! ... but I guess it's fair enough given the limitations.
            Which of the ToDos in the Wiki do actually impact a significant number of users? As far as I can see, only the clipboard one impacts a non-minority number of users and only as long as Firefox/X11 is the default browser (Gnome Web wouldn't be affected).

Comment

Could a delay of Fedora 24 help make it in?

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                Could a delay of Fedora 24 help make it in?
                No and it is not worth the delay. Anyone interested could certainly use it easily and it should work fine for most users.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  I am currently using Wayland full time on F23. I used to use Xorg but few days ago a seemingly hardware failure broke Xorg (hangs with blank screen at login) while Wayland still works.
                  That sounds more like a software failure than hardware, unless you have filesystem errors or something like that in dmesg.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

No and it is not worth the delay. Anyone interested could certainly use it easily and it should work fine for most users.
                    Do you envision doing more Wayland work for F24 past its release date? As in: will Wayland-related improvements trickle through to F24 users via the updates repo?

FWIW, I'm very happy with my F23 Workstation experience so far and I'm also really excited about getting to run GNOME on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X