Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.6 Is Getting Ready With More Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.6 Is Getting Ready With More Wayland Improvements

KDE's Martin Gräßlin has provided a status update concerning KWin/Wayland support with the latest KDE stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's exciting that the next generation of personal computing is so close to being ready for general use. Of course, it won't use fully realized until XWayland can be removed completely and still leave a fully-functioning user environment, but kudos to KDE just for getting this far.

Comment

"I use this also as a public service announcement: thanks to Let’s Encrypt my blog is also available through an encrypted connection."

Yeah, I kind of hope he understands more about desktop development than he does about cryptography and how rather pointless it is to encrypt the data connection to a blog post that you supposedly actually want people to be able to read...

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
        Of course, it won't use fully realized until XWayland can be removed completely and still leave a fully-functioning user environment[...]
        I agree that we need to be able to use wayland-powered desktops without the training wheels.
        Though- and I don't think you were advocating for its complete removal in all cases- We'll likely need XWayland to stick around for a good 20 years due to legacy apps and games.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          "I use this also as a public service announcement: thanks to Let’s Encrypt my blog is also available through an encrypted connection."

Yeah, I kind of hope he understands more about desktop development than he does about cryptography and how rather pointless it is to encrypt the data connection to a blog post that you supposedly actually want people to be able to read...
          It isn't pointless becuase supposedly he wants to actually log in into his blog, and that's where the encrypted connection matters. Also, what about poor Gnome users who feel ashamed for visiting a KDE blog and don't want others to know? He cares
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

And why the hell does Google encrypt data results that anyone with the same request can get?

Comment

It's exciting that the next generation of personal computing is so close to being ready for general use. Of course, it won't use fully realized until XWayland can be removed completely and still leave a fully-functioning user environment, but kudos to KDE just for getting this far.
              What next generation of personal computing? It's going to be the same KDE/Gnome/whatever, but running on top of Wayland instead of X. Supposedly this will simplify code and mean less bugs, but considering X is (beyond) mature while Wayland is young, I'm not going to be surprised if we'll have the same level of bugs for a few more years.
              I'm not exactly in the loop when it comes to Wayland, but the only user-facing feature that I'm aware of is supposed to be tear-free screen repainting. And that hardly qualifies as "next generation computing" in my book.

Comment

I hope than with this new release wayland will work on kde. I still cant try it because it crash.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
                  I agree that we need to be able to use wayland-powered desktops without the training wheels.
                  Though- and I don't think you were advocating for its complete removal in all cases- We'll likely need XWayland to stick around for a good 20 years due to legacy apps and games.
                  No, I mean all cases. Keeping insecure, holey, compromisable X11 around means being stuck with 1980s era security and performance. As long as you keep that exploit available you're being held back.

Comment

No, I mean all cases.
                    Then I hope you have a solution to port every one of these games on Steam to SDL2 if they were on SDL1, or worse, port whatever custom/other OpenGL solution they use without costing those developers any money. I happen to like all my games, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X