GNOME Shell & Mutter Do Their Betas For 3.20, Add More Wayland Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter Do Their Betas For 3.20, Add More Wayland Changes

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter Do Their Betas For 3.20, Add More Wayland Changes

Being released a bit late today past the official GNOME 3.20 Beta is the v3.19.90 releases for the GNOME Shell and Mutter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone knows if there is support for unredirecting fullscreen Wayland and XWayland applications? Otherwise I see another Phoronix Wayland vs. Xorg vs. XWayland Test coming up that might not mean much without these changes. I remember that some Gnome developer already had some patches prepared the last time this was benchmarked.

Comment

I'm not certain, but it is my understanding that with Wayland a Wayland compositor is supposed to connect a surface directly to the graphics hardware. So "unredirecting" should be meaningless, because whatever is set on that surface is what the screen output is supposed to be showing, regardless of it being full screen or a window, or a window rotated 45 degrees to the side, etc. A full screen application should just be a surface set to cover the whole screen.

Comment

> +* Add audio device selection dialog [Florian; #760284]
        > +* Add media controls to the time and date drop down [Florian; #756491]

If I'm understanding this right, #1 was much needed. I've been using an extension to add support for switching between HDMI audio and headphone audio from the shell menu, but the first extension broke with 3.18 and I had to find a second extension that, when coupled with the media player controls extension I use, and all the proxy network devices VirtualBox creates, causes the shell's menu to occasionally be too tall for everything to be rendered without scrollbars.

Coupled with that, #2 sounds like a great idea as well - it makes sense for media player controls to go in the same area as application notifications, as these are application controls and not system controls.

So I'm looking forward to these changes. I may actually try out the beta, assuming there's an Arch PKGBUILD out there for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
          I'm not certain, but it is my understanding that with Wayland a Wayland compositor is supposed to connect a surface directly to the graphics hardware. So "unredirecting" should be meaningless, because whatever is set on that surface is what the screen output is supposed to be showing, regardless of it being full screen or a window, or a window rotated 45 degrees to the side, etc. A full screen application should just be a surface set to cover the whole screen.
          No Xwayland and Wayland fullscreen windows are still composited on Gnome so there is an extra copy involved before they make it to the screen.

Comment

Working...
          X