Canonical Is Planning For Vulkan Support In Mir By Ubuntu 16.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Why bother? To this day I still don't understand why the hell they're making Mir. I'm all for alternatives, but Mir doesn't seem to be very different from wayland at all (on any level; except that Wayland supports Vulkan and Mir doesn't at this moment that's like the biggest difference between them right now).

I mean if all they wanted was full control over their Display Server code, then why not just work with wayland devs and develop wayland on the wayland devs terms, while having an ubuntu specific variant/fork of it that changes all the things canonical doesn't agree with. Mostly (if not completely) backwards compatible with wayland itself. For this project that approach would just make a lot more sense.. Don't go reinventing the wheel when it's already being reinvented by your more experienced neighbors, get in on their fun instead!

since wayland is become the new X with all bad things today i agree it was a good move by canonical like unity i hate it at first and now i love it, and gnome 3 is piece of crap, kde only have bugs (5) and xfce is stoped in time

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

since wayland is become the new X with all bad things today i agree it was a good move by canonical like unity i hate it at first and now i love it, and gnome 3 is piece of crap, kde only have bugs (5) and xfce is stoped in time
      i agree
      i hate
      now i love
      is piece of crap
      only have bugs
      is stoped in time

Dear junior member andre30correia
      You are a poet :-D

Comment

Open source software is never bad!

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

You are confusing Wayland the display protocol with the compositors i.e. mutter, kwm. Canonical Unity still uses X display server in desktop. Mir heavily relied on Wayland implementation making it redundant due its specific method of Ubuntu.

Comment

Is 16.04 going to default to Mir anyway?

Comment

Why bother? To this day I still don't understand why the hell they're making Mir. I'm all for alternatives, but Mir doesn't seem to be very different from wayland at all (on any level; except that Wayland supports Vulkan and Mir doesn't at this moment that's like the biggest difference between them right now).
              The difference is in the implementation. Wayland is a display protocol. There is a server that interprets the XML protocol. there is a client that also uses the protocol to talk to the server.

in Mir it is an API/ABI model

Comment

BREAKING NEWS: Canonical plans to release Mir by late 2013.

Also, this week on Ubuntu, astronaut Mark Shuttleworth is starting his own sovereignty nation and buying his own continent.
                Last edited by ElectricPrism; 17 February 2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

MIR is the one thats making convergence happen for Ubuntu. https://www.linux.com/news/software/...ir-convergence

Comment

Y'all said that about Unity when it came out and it ended up being pretty good. It was buggy at first (what free software isn't?) and is now a versatile and user friendly desktop. If Canonical chooses to spend their own money and resources on Mir because they think it can be better, then so be it. It is free software and fits into their vision. Nothing will stop you from running Wayland with XFCE if that's what you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

Y'all said that about Unity when it came out and it ended up being pretty good. It was buggy at first (what free software isn't?) and is now a versatile and user friendly desktop. If Canonical chooses to spend their own money and resources on Mir because they think it can be better, then so be it. It is free software and fits into their vision. Nothing will stop you from running Wayland with XFCE if that's what you prefer.
                      The last time I tried Unity on Ubuntu (a few years ago) it was pretty bad. And I am not talking about bugs, I didn't see ones (or don't remember), I am talking about usability. I badly remember the problems atm, though. The first I recall is the panel: there's a bunch of app launcher icons, and the newly started apps appears there too. So long, so good — every panel like, this, but… they're all of the same shape and size! And they're not even sorted. I.e. the only way to distinguish a running app icon from a launcher icon is the slight backlight and a tiny little arrow! Every time one is going to use mouse rather than keyboard to switch between applications, one is wasting time to search through all the squares — this happens neither in KDE, nor in XFCE, nor e17, nor another ones, because they do care about usability, and the app launcher icon is noticeably differ from the running apps.

Most other Ubuntu problems were due to an awful application equipment, though. For example they have a bad file manager, which neither had «Open Terminal in the current directory» submenu, nor possibility to edit the current path. I badly remember, but it seems that the file manager didn't even have a possibility to select the path (one have to do «right-mouse-click → copy path» instead) to use primary selection, and to paste it to a terminal. Also, perhaps there were missing either of split-screen or separate tabs. I'm using Dolphin as a file manager btw, although my DE currently is simply «Awesome WM» with some panel. Another annoying buggy application I remember was their terminal — there never worked standard readline shortcuts like «Alt+f to go one word forward», because instead «Alt+f» brings a menu from above.

I do care for Canonical, however they were really going in the wrong way. Tell me if things changed now.

Comment

Working...
                      X