Wayland 1.10 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
    Then why on earth is the version above 1.0?
    Because not all systems need it? I've had wayland on my phone since at least a year, so it was definitely production ready. Maybe not desktop production ready, but still.

Comment

because cars have no dnd. next question

Comment

DND stuff have been working in wayland for a while now.

Comment

Wayland itself has been fully stable, feature-complete, and production-ready for many years now. But just Wayland on its own is a very small part of what is required to run a full desktop environment without X11.

Many mobile phones, TVs, entertainment systems, embedded systems, etc are already successfully using Wayland in various ways, and have been for years already. The reason why it still hasn't gained much adoption on the *desktop* front is because of other missing pieces that are unrelated to Wayland itself, but necessary for a complete desktop computer experience.

Comment

It's an enhancement to the existing DND protocol.

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            So, when are they gonna fix Weston's xwayland support?
            Works fine as far as we know, providing you've got a relatively up-to-date Xwayland. What's wrong with it? Have you filed a bug?

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            When will drawing tablets come?
            The protocol is basically stable and there's an implementation for Mutter and GTK+, so hopefully in 1.11.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
              Works fine as far as we know, providing you've got a relatively up-to-date Xwayland. What's wrong with it? Have you filed a bug?
              Well it was about a month ago last time I tested it out, I don't recall all the problems I had with it, just that I had all of them with google-chrome; which was working fine under GNOME on wayland.

Comment

Xwayland support in Arch for Weston is quite simple - a config script. I use it regulary with no issues with X apps.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yeah, and D-Bus support.
                  So I don't have to launch every other application prefixed with dbus-launch.
                  Or start Weston itself via dbus-launch.

That should be fixed in D-Bus itself. D-Bus already has an "X11 autolaunch" feature. I believe something similar needs to be done for Wayland. It all works like some sort of dark magic.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                    The protocol is basically stable and there's an implementation for Mutter and GTK+, so hopefully in 1.11.
                    OK. The last time I read the spec was at the end of last year on master branch, so good to know there was something in the pipeline that I didn't see.

Comment

Working...
                    X