2016 Wayland Experiences: GNOME: Perfect, KDE: Bad, Enlightenment: Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    Given KDE's history of defending horrendous breakage in x.0 releases to be acceptable "because it's always been this way", I'm not surprised.
    Trolling aside, KDE until this point has been very explicit about Wayland still being a Work-in-Progress, so I'm not sure how you draw this equivalence.

That said... I like KDE too much to even try GNOME/Wayland even though I'm really itching to have an X11-free desktop. There's no doubt that Wayland is the future on Linux (and hopefully also the BSDs!), but I'm actually quite contented to wait until my compositor is stable enough. We have x11-wayland for a reason.

Comment

I'm going to have to call B.S. on this guy's findings, because everyone knows that KDE is always awesome. Everything works perfectly all the time. BTW, I'm typing this on my Vivaldi tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        First he says
        and then he calls it "perfect".

I don't think he really understands what that word means in English.
        I'm not a native speaker, but I disagree with you. In my opinion, most of the time "perfect" doesn't mean "faultless" but "excellent in all aspects" or even "beyond expectations".

Comment

I just watched a video of a guy opening and closing windows for ten minutes, and occasionally pondering over his choices. Can I have those minutes back please?

Also, am I to understand there is not standardized window decoration on Wayland? It seems every window he opens has either different decoration, or none at all...

Comment

I wonder who the KDE guys will blame now?

They cant blame Wayland, since that is "production ready since ages". I bet they blame Canonical, as always, because Canonical made MIR and the KDE guys were too busy flaming about it and "proving" how much better Wayland is.

Comment

Originally posted by andresdju View Post

I'm not a native speaker, but I disagree with you. In my opinion, most of the time "perfect" doesn't mean "faultless" but "excellent in all aspects" or even "beyond expectations".
              perfect: make (something) completely free from faults or defects, or as close to such a condition as possible.

As for the whole Gnome vs KDE nonsense, Gnome kinda had a major head start. Like, over a year head start. It seems like most people forget KDE was in the middle of their gigantic refactoring of code going from "KDE libs" to "KDE Frameworks" when Gnome started on Wayland. The KDE devs didn't even officially start Wayland work until what? less than half a year ago? Yet it runs on Wayland, even if it's not a great experience. All this while they're still working out bugs from the major shift to the KF structure and other apps being ported to it.

I'd call that pretty good progress if I do say so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by andresdju View Post
                In my opinion, most of the time "perfect" doesn't mean "faultless" but "excellent in all aspects" or even "beyond expectations".
                The dictionary disagrees with you...

Comment

Comparing a technology preview with anything is like borderline retarded...
                  Kwin on Plasma 5.4 hasn't even implemented window decorations yet... (should be done in master btw)

Comment

I'm waiting for good performance on KDE I hope my expectations will be not disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

The dictionary disagrees with you...
                      There's a difference between the -exact- dictionary definition of a word, and how it gets used in practice. If we used the exact dictionary definition of 'perfect' in conversation... it would never get said.

Personally, my experience with Wayland has been pretty damn good aside from games and Eclipse. I've ran it for the last 3 or so days doing all my normal work with zero problems. I only logged out and switched back to the X session earlier tonight because I loaded up Eclipse and found out it doesn't get rendered correctly via XWayland.
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X