Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

We do? <3 generalisations - but for me - landscape is much nicer to use

I think most people who have portrait mode monitors usually have a landscape monitor next to it. For code portrait mode is really nice.

Comment

I wonder if the rotated screens are actually able to use vsync? My rotated screens in gnome X cannot, and it can be annoying at times.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
        I wonder if the rotated screens are actually able to use vsync? My rotated screens in gnome X cannot, and it can be annoying at times.
        There shouldn't be any technical reasons for vsync to fail. A screen update is a screen update after all.

A quick Google search shows a lot of reports for portrait vsync problems in Linux but none at all in Windows so it is probably just a problem with X.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Awesome! Considering that Fedora is popular with developers and developers like monitors in portrait mode this is a great feature. Hope primary selection is next.
          I use Fedora and I have a monitor which I sometimes use in portrait. I haven't lately because when I do the Intel video driver will crash X about 50% of the time because of a lack of video RAM. The 4K laptop screen and the 4K monitor in portrait causes it to try allocating a (3840+2160) x (3840+2160) display buffer. I can make it work better by rearranging the displays but then it's awkward to use.

Wayland might handle this better. I'll be glad to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

I think most people who have portrait mode monitors usually have a landscape monitor next to it. For code portrait mode is really nice.
            I always found the there was not enough width in portrait mode. Most tools I used are optimised for landscape too

Comment

This feature seems to properly landing only in Gnome 3.22 earliest. Source: gnome bug discussion mentioned in the article.

Comment

Working...
              X