Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Close Fedora Is To Switching To Wayland By Default

Phoronix: How Close Fedora Is To Switching To Wayland By Default

Kevin Martin of the Fedora Project has written a status update and plan around the "Wayland-by-default" effort for Fedora 24...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With all these items in the list of TODOs, it's highly unlikely to see Wayland enabled by default in F24.

Comment

NVIDIA driver support and pointer confinement so I can play shooters and it's good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        NVIDIA driver support.
        You really have to bother nvidia about it, nobody else can do it anyway. You can't have "nvidia driver support" in wayland, it have to be something like "wayland support in nvidia driver" instead.

Comment

...and on side note, I guess it explains why X got like least number of commits in 10 years. There're very few ppl around who are in mood to touch this code base.

Comment

I think we will be seeing the same kind of article where the number 24 is switched with 25 soon.

Comment

Well, about that list, not all the items are equally important, to me, at least.
              For example, I don't care about:
              • Display rotation support
              • Remote display
              • Kinetic scrolling
              • Tablet support
              • Accessibility features
              • Replacement for many X utilities (xkill, xrandr, xdotool, xsel) [I only use the max res and never changed it]
              ​My daily setup is so simple that if Wayland will miss the default switch in F23 for the above points, I will manually activate it because those points are out of interest for me.
              Of course Fedora, as a general purpose distro, needs to cover more user cases than the simplest one, however if F24-Wayland will cover my needs, I will switch on it nevertheless what is the default.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                You really have to bother nvidia about it, nobody else can do it anyway. You can't have "nvidia driver support" in wayland, it have to be something like "wayland support in nvidia driver" instead.
                Actually GNOME will have to make their Wayland stack be able to use NVIDIAs EGLStreams and EGLDevice proposal. A new driver from NVIDIA isn't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  With all these items in the list of TODOs, it's highly unlikely to see Wayland enabled by default in F24.
                  im preying they it isnt on by default as its to Crashy , but in real it wont be usable till atleast F26 or F27 IMO , surely they wont have all those features complete before Alpha

last time i tried it, it crashed every App.

look at the Wiki page, aboiut 6 or more things are still at 0% or 50% complete
                  Last edited by Anvil; 05 January 2016, 05:01 PM.

Comment

One more thing for the Toto list: icons on the desktop. Without those, many find the whole system unusable. Nautilus cannot do this in Wayland, neither can any other filebrowser. GNOME is said to be working on a standalone library to do this job. I've thought of another way that could be done with a patched file manager:

1: have the file manager open by default to a fullscreened, undecorated, non-closeable, always on the bottom window with the filepath set to ~/home/Desktop.
                    2: Select a custom background matching the desktop background for that window and that window only on the desktop
                    3: Permit manual arrangement of icon in that window and only that window, saving the layout.

Comment

Working...
                    X