X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Znurre
    replied
    Originally posted by boffo View Post
    ...and pressing ctrl+alt+F12 doesn't help much...
    Well, maybe because Alt+Shift+F12 is the correct shortcut

Leave a comment:

• boffo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kver View Post

There's no point in adding options that can only make things worse. Server-side decorations are superior to CSD in every way when displaying the "default" frames with no special controls. If an application actually uses CSD to a meaningful degree then it will request CSD.

CSDs just introduce technical problems, and are only good for applications wishing to customise their entire window. If they aren't doing that letting an application manage its frame means any hangs or glitches will impact the frame when they don't need to. Why trust many potentially unreliable applications when you can trust one reliable core system and grant exceptions only as necessary?
    I have always been a kde user, but the way gnome is dealing with the problem seams to have given some nice looking programs. Kde 5 now looks meh. They put some old macos like icons, that I really don't like, games runs bad, and pressing ctrl+alt+F12 doesn't help much. I have to switch to IceWM for games now. I would prefer a non consistent title bar, than a glitchy desktop.

Leave a comment:

• Kver
    replied
    Originally posted by boffo View Post
    Since Kde is all about making the desktop the way you wont, an option for enabling client side decoration would be nice.
    There's no point in adding options that can only make things worse. Server-side decorations are superior to CSD in every way when displaying the "default" frames with no special controls. If an application actually uses CSD to a meaningful degree then it will request CSD.

CSDs just introduce technical problems, and are only good for applications wishing to customise their entire window. If they aren't doing that letting an application manage its frame means any hangs or glitches will impact the frame when they don't need to. Why trust many potentially unreliable applications when you can trust one reliable core system and grant exceptions only as necessary?
    Last edited by Kver; 18 December 2015, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bitman
    replied
    Client side decorations are awesome. We have different file dialogs for every toolkit. Now wayland will enable us having different window decorations for every toolkit. Is it not great? Who needs consistency when we have... no clue what! I truly believe 2016 will be year of linux desktop.

/sobs

Leave a comment:

• boffo
    replied
    Since Kde is all about making the desktop the way you wont, an option for enabling client side decoration would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic KDE Releases First Plasma Wayland Live Image

KDE Releases First Plasma Wayland Live Image

Phoronix: KDE Releases First Plasma Wayland Live Image

As some more exciting news today in the KDE Wayland space besides the server-side decoration support is the release of the first KDE Plasma Wayland Live DVD/USB image...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X