Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Years After Wayland 1.0, Will 2016 Be The Year Of The Wayland Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    OK so people will have to suffer poorer performance and bugs for a while (wayland will not be perfect in the beginning). But they don't gain anything. Niiiiiice! I wonder why Windows is so much more popular....
    MS has been suffering from all the same sort of mental defects that have plagued desktop Linux in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by Scias View Post
    Anyways Wayland is already used extensively outside of the Linux desktop scope.
    For example here in France, already millions (yes) of people are using it without knowing on their TV. Our second largest ISP (Free) provides to its subscribers a sort of Media Center (Freebox player) box you plug on your TV and that thing runs on Linux and (qt)Wayland.
    That and all LG WebOS TVs use Wayland and QtWayland.

Also multi DPI support (High DPI and low DPI on the same PC with dynamic scaling between these monitors) is not really possible with X but doable with Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• jamdox
    replied
    I'm surprised anyone is defending X. It's just a mess. Wayland has some drawbacks as a result of its design decisions, but I don't think there can be much question that it is an important step towards making linux a modern and useable desktop OS.

Leave a comment:

• ileonte
    replied
    Hopefully not, there are a lot of very common features which could be implemented in a completely WM-agnostic way using X11 calls only which are now impossible on Wayland due to 'security' 'fixes'.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    the big hit for wayland is the tear free desktop and better power savings and i hope a better dual graphics support.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    X11 doesn't even support secure screen savers. If it crashes, the desktop is exposed. I've experienced crashing 3d xscreensavers numerous times with AMD hardware and buggy drivers. It's a ridiculous piece of shit.

Leave a comment:

• dkasak
    replied
    Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    OK so people will have to suffer poorer performance and bugs for a while (wayland will not be perfect in the beginning). But they don't gain anything. Niiiiiice! I wonder why Windows is so much more popular....
    People here aren't wondering that. By the way, did you know that trolling was a symptom of mental illness? Judging from your history of posts, you should get that checked out.

Leave a comment:

• Scias
    replied
    Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post

I thought one big advantage which Wayland would bring would be a perfectly V-synced desktop with no tearing whatsoever.
    Is this assumption incorrect?

Regards
    You are completely right.

I want to see Wayland enabling some application that's not possible/is very hard to do with X.
    Because so far I haven't seen developers raving about how much easier it si to develop for Wayland.
    Developers don't develop for Wayland or X11, except in the case of window managers. Usual applications and games use toolkits and shouldn't care about the display server at all.
    Last edited by Scias; 25 October 2015, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scias
    replied
    The thing that most of people forget is that Wayland is just a protocol and is just one piece of the gigantic puzzle.

A lot of work had to be done to untie X from everything else in the Linux world. DRI2/DRI3, KMS, GBM, DMA-BUF, rootless X, consolekit/logind were necessary work before Wayland could even work decently. Not to mention most of toolkits/apps/window managers were (and some still are) "hardcoded" against X and used X11 calls exclusively.

So no matter what the change won't happen overnight and it's already quite awesome that GNOME 3.16/3.18 under Wayland is almost perfectly usable for daily use considering Linux revolved around X11 not so long ago.

Anyways Wayland is already used extensively outside of the Linux desktop scope.
    For example here in France, already millions (yes) of people are using it without knowing on their TV. Our second largest ISP (Free) provides to its subscribers a sort of Media Center (Freebox player) box you plug on your TV and that thing runs on Linux and (qt)Wayland.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Unfortunately, Weston with Pixman is still significantly slower than Xorg with XRender (about 40 FPS vs 160 FPS, the latter with Compton).
    IIRC Pixman is CPU-accelerated while XRender does use GPU acceleration. So no wonder the performance is much lower.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
    You want Valve to release Half-Life 3 only for Wayland ?
    I want to see Wayland enabling some application that's not possible/is very hard to do with X.
    Because so far I haven't seen developers raving about how much easier it si to develop for Wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X