X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gufide
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    I would like a perfect 144 FPS tear-free desktop please! I hope (expect) that will be possible! Right now it's definitely not rendering in 144 FPS, only the mouse cursor is.
    Well... With KWin (and a custom config) I'm running my desktop at 144 fps, most of cases tear free and running on X11. With Wayland it should be even better (less input lag, no choppy resize, every case tear free)

Leave a comment:

• Bandul9876
    replied
    this is the great thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    The desktop (and things on it) should only be redrawn when something changes. If there's tearing (which I assume is why you said that), it's because it's not synced to vblank (aka, vsync), which would be more obvious on a 144Hz monitor since it's blanking 2.4 times as often as a 60Hz monitor. I think this won't be an issue on desktops using Wayland, but couldn't tell you myself--I haven't tested for tearing on gnome-shell wayland yet, hadn't thought about it.

Leave a comment:

• xeekei
    replied
    I would like a perfect 144 FPS tear-free desktop please! I hope (expect) that will be possible! Right now it's definitely not rendering in 144 FPS, only the mouse cursor is.

Leave a comment:

• Scias
    replied
    Originally posted by Goddard View Post
    Doesn't look good. Isn't it suppose to be better?
    Well there's really little difference, especially considering there's no fullscreen unredirection on mutter-wayland as blackout23 rightfully said.

And no one ever said that Wayland would give better performance for OpenGL/games. That doesn't even make sense since OpenGL/games already bypass the window manager and X thanks to DRI. So the performance should be identical unless a compositor gets on the way (which again is the case on mutter-wayland).

As for regular desktop applications, noadays the immense majority of toolkits render client-side, so again that's something that shouldn't change much under Wayland, at least not directly.

So what a Wayland compositor should do better than X11 is ... compositing and window management. So basically getting a perfect 60fps tear-free desktop, non-choppy window resizing/moving, and a much lower CPU usage (since there's a hell lot less protocol and no roundtrips between X11-compositor). Also it's easier for a wayland compositor to use gpu hardware overlays or directly scanout a fullscreen application which basically means a zero overhead compositor.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

SDL2 supports Wayland (if compiled with that support). Also, a neat feature of SDL2 is that you can allow an SDL2 app to use your version instead of theirs.

Do any of these games use SDL2? If so, it would be possible to run them against Wayland directly, without XWayland.

Michael?

Doesn't make a difference because it doesn't change the fact that mutter doesn't support unredirecting fullscreen windows as wayland compositor as I just said...

Leave a comment:

• emblemparade
    replied
    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    No, because as it has been said millions of times neither Wayland or XWayland fullscreen windows are unredirected in the Wayland session, yet.
    SDL2 supports Wayland (if compiled with that support). Also, a neat feature of SDL2 is that you can allow an SDL2 app to use your version instead of theirs.

Do any of these games use SDL2? If so, it would be possible to run them against Wayland directly, without XWayland.

Michael?

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by Goddard View Post

No, because as it has been said millions of times neither Wayland or XWayland fullscreen windows are unredirected in the Wayland session, yet. But there are patch sets for it that are being worked on. When you compare a modern X11 desktop with DRI3 and fullscreen unredirection in the compositor and a Wayland session with unredirected fullscreen windows there should be zero difference between both, because there is no way to display the image that would require less copies.
    Last edited by blackout23; 24 October 2015, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    Interesting how in Pixmark the standard deviation is much lower in Wayland than X--even if the average is lower, if it deviates less from the norm that's always a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Goddard
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X