Fresh Fedora 23 GNOME Shell Wayland Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post

I still remember Ubuntu devs speculating about Wayland by default on their next release well before they bailed out and started up their Mir project. Perhaps distros (the sources of these sort of reports) underestimated just how much stuff is hardcoded to X or otherwise dependent on it? Some things look easier than they actually are with this.
    First off, since when has Canonical ever kept to a development schedule? I don't mean a distro release schedule I mean a development schedule? Second Canonical knew jack squat about Wayland when they announced Mir, so they intrinsically didn't know anything about Wayland really when they first announced they were going to switch to it, so using them as a measuring stick is utterly pointless. Third Wayland is available now in production TVs and Phones that you can buy... today... You can also run it... today... through KDE, GNOME, or Enlightenment however it is currently in various versions of being in preview state on the aforementioned desktops

[snip]
    Try using something other than weston (probably GNOME 3 because it's the most complete on that front), It is the reference compositor yes... but because it's the reference compositor it also has a lot unimplemented behavior that is undefined. I wouldn't be too surprised that Mate applications wouldn't work yet, and IIRC Kdenlive only recently got ported over to Qt5

Comment

I still remember Ubuntu devs speculating about Wayland by default on their next release well before they bailed out and started up their Mir project. Perhaps distros (the sources of these sort of reports) underestimated just how much stuff is hardcoded to X or otherwise dependent on it? Some things look easier than they actually are with this.
      Good to see sane people around here - you hit the nail on the head. I definitely think progress has been made as many have already pointed out, in car infotainment applications, TV sets, phones even (Jolla?), and I think what's badly needed and probably the hardest piece of all to accomplish is a top notch DE/WM like Gnome and KDE working flawlessly... a 30+ year old legacy is being uprooted, and a lot of what gets done w/Wayland is volunteer effort which isn't concerted, and then you have commercial efforts, which are concerted but aren't necessarily addressing the needs of freeloaders like present company included, who bitch and moan instead of testing and reporting bugs in jira or bugzilla or whatever, to the teams...

No, you don't need to be a coder, but if you're on here asking about progress, install whatever is the latest on the dev branches, test it, crash it, or report whatever sucks to the developers. Beats coming here and putting down the effort to replace X... None of this happens overnight - and I'd say we are at least a few years away from REALLY having something stable and usable on a daily basis w/minimal showstoppers or performance/rendering issues.

Comment

Working...
      X