Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.17.0 Brings Cookies, MirBlob

Phoronix: Mir 0.17.0 Brings Cookies, MirBlob

Canonical developers released Mir 0.17.0 yesterday in time for the final freeze of Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it really called MirBlob? Becuase I GUARANTEE that people will start posting online that Mir contains a closed code BLOB in it, just because of the name. And if you correct them that this isn't true, then you are obviously a "Ubuntu fanboyz that just repeats what you are told". F' this community sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Is it really called MirBlob? Becuase I GUARANTEE that people will start posting online that Mir contains a closed code BLOB in it, just because of the name. And if you correct them that this isn't true, then you are obviously a "Ubuntu fanboyz that just repeats what you are told". F' this community sometimes.
      Release notes:

. Add MirBlob to the client API - a tool for serializing and deserializing data.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So when are we able to use the damn thing? It was supposed to be ready with Unity 8 years ago, but it seems like another few years off. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
          So when are we able to use the damn thing? It was supposed to be ready with Unity 8 years ago, but it seems like another few years off. :-(
          Don't worry, it's just been postponed til 14.04.. .er.... it will definitely be rolled out in 16.04.... oh wait...

Comment

Gnome is just about there, KDE is approaching useable, by now Canonical probably could have had a Wayland compositor working for Unity. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Don't worry, it's just been postponed til 14.04.. .er.... it will definitely be rolled out in 16.04.... oh wait...
              based that unity 8 was not yet out for real usage, you can also add 18.04. unless Canonical wants to do kamikaze approach where they change both in one release without ever having it as testing option

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

based that unity 8 was not yet out for real usage, you can also add 18.04. unless Canonical wants to do kamikaze approach where they change both in one release without ever having it as testing option
                You are right. They would need to have unity 8 finished, stable and release it on DESKTOPS (not mobile) in 16.10. That's definitely not going to happen so no LTS with mir+unity 8 before 20.04 at the earliest - if there are any ubuntu users left by then, obviously, which seems increasingly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

You are right. They would need to have unity 8 finished, stable and release it on DESKTOPS (not mobile) in 16.10. That's definitely not going to happen so no LTS with mir+unity 8 before 20.04 at the earliest - if there are any ubuntu users left by then, obviously, which seems increasingly unlikely.
                  well, at least as i see them, this should be treated same as optimizations. 80-90% in very quick timeframe, last 10-20 very long. one just needs to look at gnome on wayland. gnome it self works awesome, it is the details that keep showing up and stall.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

well, at least as i see them, this should be treated same as optimizations. 80-90% in very quick timeframe, last 10-20 very long. one just needs to look at gnome on wayland. gnome it self works awesome, it is the details that keep showing up and stall.
                    The problem is that, as you say, gnome itself works on wayland. Here, there is nothing, no visible progress, no development of any sort unless you count the same old videos showing unity 8 displaying one window with some worthless mobile app in it. I'm sad because I loved ubuntu, I did *buy* stuff from Canonical and I really hoped that mir and unity 8 would be great.

Comment

Working...
                    X