Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir 0.17.0 Brings Cookies, MirBlob

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mir 0.17.0 Brings Cookies, MirBlob

    Phoronix: Mir 0.17.0 Brings Cookies, MirBlob

    Canonical developers released Mir 0.17.0 yesterday in time for the final freeze of Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-0.17-Released

  • #2
    Is it really called MirBlob? Becuase I GUARANTEE that people will start posting online that Mir contains a closed code BLOB in it, just because of the name. And if you correct them that this isn't true, then you are obviously a "Ubuntu fanboyz that just repeats what you are told". F' this community sometimes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Is it really called MirBlob? Becuase I GUARANTEE that people will start posting online that Mir contains a closed code BLOB in it, just because of the name. And if you correct them that this isn't true, then you are obviously a "Ubuntu fanboyz that just repeats what you are told". F' this community sometimes.
      Release notes:

      . Add MirBlob to the client API - a tool for serializing and deserializing data.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        So when are we able to use the damn thing? It was supposed to be ready with Unity 8 years ago, but it seems like another few years off. :-(

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tegs View Post
          So when are we able to use the damn thing? It was supposed to be ready with Unity 8 years ago, but it seems like another few years off. :-(
          Don't worry, it's just been postponed til 14.04.. .er.... it will definitely be rolled out in 16.04.... oh wait...

          Comment


          • #6
            Gnome is just about there, KDE is approaching useable, by now Canonical probably could have had a Wayland compositor working for Unity. Just saying.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jacob View Post

              Don't worry, it's just been postponed til 14.04.. .er.... it will definitely be rolled out in 16.04.... oh wait...
              based that unity 8 was not yet out for real usage, you can also add 18.04. unless Canonical wants to do kamikaze approach where they change both in one release without ever having it as testing option

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

                based that unity 8 was not yet out for real usage, you can also add 18.04. unless Canonical wants to do kamikaze approach where they change both in one release without ever having it as testing option
                You are right. They would need to have unity 8 finished, stable and release it on DESKTOPS (not mobile) in 16.10. That's definitely not going to happen so no LTS with mir+unity 8 before 20.04 at the earliest - if there are any ubuntu users left by then, obviously, which seems increasingly unlikely.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jacob View Post

                  You are right. They would need to have unity 8 finished, stable and release it on DESKTOPS (not mobile) in 16.10. That's definitely not going to happen so no LTS with mir+unity 8 before 20.04 at the earliest - if there are any ubuntu users left by then, obviously, which seems increasingly unlikely.
                  well, at least as i see them, this should be treated same as optimizations. 80-90% in very quick timeframe, last 10-20 very long. one just needs to look at gnome on wayland. gnome it self works awesome, it is the details that keep showing up and stall.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

                    well, at least as i see them, this should be treated same as optimizations. 80-90% in very quick timeframe, last 10-20 very long. one just needs to look at gnome on wayland. gnome it self works awesome, it is the details that keep showing up and stall.
                    The problem is that, as you say, gnome itself works on wayland. Here, there is nothing, no visible progress, no development of any sort unless you count the same old videos showing unity 8 displaying one window with some worthless mobile app in it. I'm sad because I loved ubuntu, I did *buy* stuff from Canonical and I really hoped that mir and unity 8 would be great.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X