Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Rapid Progress Being Made On KDE For Wayland

Phoronix: There's Rapid Progress Being Made On KDE For Wayland

KDE on Wayland has been making a lot of progress recently to the point that it's becoming usable and with KDE Plasma 5.5 it looks like it will be in very good shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon KDE will join GNOME at supporting wayland. It's very nice! It's like a dream comming to reality! ...Just 8 years late lol

Just kidding, keep up the good work, I'm definelty looking toward this!

Comment

Soon Kwin Wayands benchmarks?

Comment

Didn't someone once say that KDE will probably be mostly feature complete and stabilized by Plasma 5.10?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
          Didn't someone once say that KDE will probably be mostly feature complete and stabilized by Plasma 5.10?
          That was a joke based off the fact it took about that long for the 4.x series to hit feature complete and stable.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post
            5.4 on all my computers, feels rock solid and fantastic all around. Nothing really crashes anymore, whereas under 5.3 several plasmoids would crash the shell after several hours.

Only criticism would be that the new audio plasmoid is really barebones - you cannot redirect output (ie, from analog to HDMI) and you cannot change per-application volumes from the docker, only from the settings menu. Also, now that krunner has history support, it lags badly the first time you open it every session.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

5.4 on all my computers, feels rock solid and fantastic all around. Nothing really crashes anymore, whereas under 5.3 several plasmoids would crash the shell after several hours.

Only criticism would be that the new audio plasmoid is really barebones - you cannot redirect output (ie, from analog to HDMI) and you cannot change per-application volumes from the docker, only from the settings menu. Also, now that krunner has history support, it lags badly the first time you open it every session.

Totally agree. I think the only thing missing form plasma5 is better audio configuration. To choose which application outputting to which device is what I need. I really miss the Veromix plasmoid, which was a matter of drag and drop to change device for an app.
              Veromix is a mixer for the Pulseaudio sound server. Features:- Media player controls (aka nowplaying)- per application voluem control (replay & record)- global hotkeys- can life in system tray-...

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post

Totally agree. I think the only thing missing form plasma5 is better audio configuration. To choose which application outputting to which device is what I need. I really miss the Veromix plasmoid, which was a matter of drag and drop to change device for an app.
                http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=116676
                The very latest release of plasma has a new audio applet that hooks directly into Pulse. I haven't used it yet but it might do what you want.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

The very latest release of plasma has a new audio applet that hooks directly into Pulse. I haven't used it yet but it might do what you want.
                  Not really, it's actually really hard to change device, I even kept kmix because at least there's way to switch between my headset and my speakers. (maybe the new applet has a way to do this I've not discovered yet?)

Comment

How's Wayland in preventing apps from spying on each other like preventing one app from seeing your keyboard input to another app?

Comment

Working...
                    X