Wayland Continues Advancing On Features, But XWayland Could Use Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

even in 23 support is damn good. if you're not bound to those few show stopper bugs that prevented this to happen in 23
    What are the show stoppers? Don't follow wayland progress but eager to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      What are the show stoppers? Don't follow wayland progress but eager to try it.
      Read Rahul's comment, that's the major stuff, but its all getting fixed in F23
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Right now for gaming two things are needed the most in Xwayland:
        Pointer-Lock
        XFree86-VidModeExtension

Without the first many fps games are unplayable, try to play Minecraft for example using it and second one is required by many games to even start(1001 Spikes, Nuclear Throne or Savant Ascend), it doesn't make playing games under linux easier.
        RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
          Right now for gaming two things are needed the most in Xwayland:
          Pointer-Lock
          XFree86-VidModeExtension

Without the first many fps games are unplayable, try to play Minecraft for example using it and second one is required by many games to even start(1001 Spikes, Nuclear Throne or Savant Ascend), it doesn't make playing games under linux easier.
          https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=87806
          A pretty large patch set for Pointer Locking was recently submitted for review to Weston. Once it goes through review and people make sure it works well under Weston then it can be requested to be promoted up to Wayland-proper. It'd be nice if it was available -now- but its at least getting worked on and patches are available.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Have made some progress with VidModeExtension, it fails, but it fails less than before
            RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by helland View Post

I think it should just be a matter of updating mesa-git again. There was a patch that disabled an openGL extension that wayland relies on. A patch landed yesterday that reverts this, back to the old behaviour. If this is what caused you problems then it should be fixed in mesa-master
              Yeah it already sorted itself out, so i am back on the gnome wayland desktop.

Actually the biggest problem that I have always had on my current machine is nouveau stability, so I often disable it for my 765M; Looking forward to more of the recent work that's been coming in there.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post

Yeah it already sorted itself out, so i am back on the gnome wayland desktop.

Actually the biggest problem that I have always had on my current machine is nouveau stability, so I often disable it for my 765M; Looking forward to more of the recent work that's been coming in there.
                Just to follow up on my own complaint, it turns out that my nouveau woes are now only triggered by gnome-photos. I removed that and it's ok now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                  Gnome-wayland working fine for me, though I haven't updated in a couple days.

One issue I noticed is if I open a new window in Firefox with ctrl+n, then try to focus the search bar with ctrl+k (without ever releasing ctrl), it'll just type the k in the search box on the page (I have duckduckgo as my homepage). Has anyone else experienced this, is it a known bug? Seems like maybe an xwayland/libinput bug, as I don't remember ever experiencing this in KDE.
                  Yeah, patches pending.

Comment

Working...
                  X